Back brake not doing it’s one job😲

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Hi there,

wondered if anyone can help. I’m having issues with my back brake (105 rim) just not been able to slow me. Off the bike I can apply the brake and the calliper clamps the wheel and when pushing the bike with the brake on the back wheel skids. The calliper doesn’t seem to open fully when I realise the brake lever, but the brakes don’t rub so not a problem. The problem is that when I’m riding and pull the back brakes it’s next to useless. It scrubs some speed off but not enough to stop me. In fact I can peddle the bike with the brake fully applied. Any ideas On a fix?

midlife

Guru
Do you mean the brake lever reaches its full travel without giving much braking effect?

Hi there,

wondered if anyone can help. I’m having issues with my back brake (105 rim) just not been able to slow me. Off the bike I can apply the brake and the calliper clamps the wheel and when pushing the bike with the brake on the back wheel skids. The calliper doesn’t seem to open fully when I realise the brake lever, but the brakes don’t rub so not a problem. The problem is that when I’m riding and pull the back brakes it’s next to useless. It scrubs some speed off but not enough to stop me. In fact I can peddle the bike with the brake fully applied. Any ideas On a fix?

The back brake won't fully stop you, it controls your speed but the front brake actually stops you. You need to develop a balance that suits you. The safe bet is use the back brake first to scrub off/ control that speed then apply the front brake.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Braking on any vehicle should be 80% front, 20% rear. In wet conditions 50/50 is more appropriate in case your front wheel skids. It's why cars have bigger brake discs on the front wheels than on the rear.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If the lever isn't fully releasing it probably means the cable is sticking and needs replacing. The brake is out of adjustment to compensate for the cable stickiness and as a result there's too much travel in the lever.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Rear brakes usually don't offer much at all compared to the front

the_mikey

Legendary Member
As above, rear brakes alone are not very likely to provide a good brake, the front brake is much more effective, and I would get into the habit of using both brakes simultaneously. Also ensure when squeezing the brake lever that the lever does not physically meet the handlebars when pulled, if this is the case then you will need to adjust (or maybe replace if the cable is old and worn) the cable.

Bianchi boy

Über Member
I had this "issue "with my rear ultegra brake caliper , took it off, deep clean, etc, etc, Still no joy, ,Then replaced the cable and Hey Presto- Worked perfect :okay:

Top Bottom