back in the saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddypete

im now 50 and getting back at it,built a expedition tour bike,during the summer,used my old 90s raleigh hard tail mtb frame,which i got powder coated,and added a shamefull amount of new parts, its mainly to go camping trips,done the crow rd many times,once on a chopper with no gears,but i was only a boy then,now i have grown up im going to do the tak ma doon,kilsyth up, do or die,cheers

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi paddypete, welcome to the website! There are a few Raleigh enthusiasts on here (like @raleighnut) and plenty of tourers too. Also quite a few (like me) who have taken up cycling later in life!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome: I too built up a 90s Raleigh MTB into a tourer but mine's a rigid Outlander and I left the frame standard (i.e. grotty finish) and rarely clean anything other than the braking tracks on the rim and the chain but I do maintain the bike to perfection. (the neds are less likely to nick a grotty old MTB but they don't know how much it cost to build (its got full Deore) :becool:

Ern1e

Über Member
How strange this is ! Only this morning in my local paper shop we where discusing the old Raliegh bike thing and as I said to the shops owner when we where kids if you had a Raliegh you where somebody the bike to have so to speak. So well done sir and keep pedaling.

mcnute

welcome back to the ultimate freedom

OP
OP
paddypete

paddypete

if a person is into building a sturdy tourer,then a good raleigh frame can be got for less than the price of a few hours at the local pub,for me,a late 80s to early 90s cromo steel frame cant be beaten,for build quality,the ones before they went east,the bike that ive done,was bought at a police auction for £20,i paid as much as that because it had diore lx hubs,crank set and deralers

Last edited:
Top Bottom