Back Injury / Bike Fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EH11

Hi, new to the forum and wanted to get informed opinion and advice on an injury i've picked up since returning to cycling after many years. Any help is genuinely appreciated.
I started using the bike (hybrid) to commute to work in the spring, easy mileage - approx 10 miles daily + maybe 20 miles at the weekend. Nothing too taxing, i'm in my early 40's, keep myself fit through regular walking and football. I started to notice a burning sensation in my thighs not only when cycling but also when walking, didn't feel like muscle fatigue but something unusual and intermittent. Reached a head one night when my thighs were so painful that I could barely walk and referred to my GP for opinion. He suggested it was a trapped nerve in my back and gave me naproxen to resolve. After nearly two weeks of taking the tablets, I got a sense that they were acting as a painkiller but not resolving the underlying problem, still felt a dull tingle / pins and needles / burn in my legs.
I went for a couple of physio appointments, physio was surprised at how rigid and inflexible I was - always news that this was the case but I reckon whatever was going on in my back had compounded the problem. He suggested my hips were slightly out of shape due to tightness through back into thighs and ham strings and gave me exercises to stretch to try and re-align the problem.
Having come off naproxen after a couple of weeks, the thighs started to calm down - although I wasn't going on the bike at all. I did however start to get a burning sensation at the top of my feet / bottom of my shin in both legs and also a mild burning at the top of my butt which is on-going. A friend recommended a good Chiro who I have had a couple of sessions with. In addition to what the physio mentioned, he suggested I had a weakness in my butt - glut medius and suggested that my back is actually pretty strong. Again, more exercises to stretch and in my last session three weeks ago, suggested getting on the bike again. Having got back on the bike a couple of weeks ago, the thighs started to play up again and i'm concerned that i'm likely to do myself further injury by continuing to cycle. I'm due to meet Chiro next week and will get his opinion but continue to stretch as suggested to try and resolve.
Apologies if the above is long winded but wondering if anybody has suffered from similar symptoms - burning thighs, burning feet / butt and what worked for them / what the outcome was?
Also, i'm thinking of getting a bike fitting to ensure that my set up is correct and not exacerbating problems in my back, again can anyone relate their experience to the above and could the underlying issue be a consequence of my poor set-up on the bike?
I've had so much enjoyment since getting back on the bike for the first time since I was a kid, I hope to resume but want to make sure i'm not doing more harm. If anyone has any advice, similar experiences, prevention tips they would be greatly appreciated.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:Check that your saddle isn't too low, forcing you into a crouch on the bike. A rule of thumb is you should be able to sit on the bike with your heel on the pedal with that leg straight and without 'rocking' your hips. This is no substitute for a proper bike fit but get advice on where to go for one.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had a bike fit due to suffering low back pain, saddle raised, stem flipped. However, bike fit alone didn't really help (other than reassure that this isn't the only issue) but three months of physio and exercises appears to be.

Cost me £150, whether it was worth it, probably as I wouldn't have the skill, patience or time to do it from YouTube vids and I have other injuries/issues (hip, knee, leg) that caused the back problem in the first place (not only the bike set up)

How's your core strength?

Personally, I don't place much faith in chiropractors, so wouldn't personally spend money there - you need an extremely good one if you go down that route as some are quacks

OP
OP
E

EH11

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to go for the bike fit, spoke to Alpine bikes / Tiso's in Glasgow who said they'd carry out a full analysis. Includes video analysis of my riding 'technique' and whilst the fit might not be part of the problem, I'll gladly get it done for peace of mind.

I'm not sure on my core strength, the Chiro only remarked that my gluts needed strengthening. I've the misfortune of having a desk job which probably means that my core is shot. I'd considered yoga or pilates as i've heard / read that both disciplines help alleviate back problems. Other options, that i'd looked at were either swimming or using one of the foam rollers that seem to be popular at the moment. If anyone has any insight, would be good to hear about it.

Meantime, I continue to do the stretches suggested by Physio / Chiro.

vickster

Legendary Member
Swimming good, but avoid breast stroke with back issues. Yes, pilates, yoga, also Alexander Technique might help. Even acupuncture

Make sure you are taking breaks from desk and having a stretch several times a day

Top Bottom