Back on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt1705

Über Member
I've hardly cycled at all over the summer months, but have just bought a cheap mtb off eBay to ride to work on.

20 miles each way, am I mad? ;)

The bike has needed a little TLC but I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and all seems well :smile:

First bit of proper maintenance today, cleaned and re-greased the wheel bearings (and learnt what a cone spanner was!!)

Here's to many months of happy cycling, and maybe a road bike in the January sales :biggrin:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
No - but going from 0 to 5 days a week would be tough at first. I'd suggest 2 days, then 3/4 then 5.

However, don't ask me; I do that anyway most days!

Osprey

Guru
Welcome to the cyclechat. :hello: That's a great achievement to commute those miles this time of year. Get that new road bike.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @Matt1705

Are you mad? Possibly a little bit ;) but 20 miles a day is possible. As already mentioned, try working up to it.

Hopefully the TLC you've given the bike included some more road oriented tyres to make it a bit quicker and easier?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hi and :welcome: @Matt1705

Are you mad? Possibly a little bit ;) but 20 miles a day is possible. As already mentioned, try working up to it.

Hopefully the TLC you've given the bike included some more road oriented tyres to make it a bit quicker and easier?

Its 20 eachway .Thats going to be tough on a mtb everyday. +1 on some slick tyres making it a little bit easier .

OP
OP
M

Matt1705

Über Member
I'm it's 20 miles each way but sometimes I work away so it's not every day, and it's a quiet at work at the moment anyway.

I was thinking of more road oriented tyres but thought maybe I'd be better with the more knobbly ones with the wet / cold weather approaching? Although any advice appreciated on the matter...

I'll put some pics up tomorrow :smile:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
@Matt1705 , I won't welcome you to the website, because I know you joined years ago :laugh:. Good luck with the longer commutes. I'm currently doing about 18.5 miles each way (hilly ones), but yours sounds like really hard work. You'll be in fantastic health if you keep it up (although your legs may complain occasionally).

Keith Oates

Janner
@Matt1705, you are not mad trying to do this distance each day but it can be a good challenge if there are hills involved and of course, an head wind at times. Good luck with the commute and keep us updated on how you are faring after a couple of weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
@Matt1705 , I won't welcome you to the website, because I know you joined years ago :laugh:.
Didn't notice that.:rolleyes::blush:

I was thinking of more road oriented tyres but thought maybe I'd be better with the more knobbly ones with the wet / cold weather approaching? Although any advice appreciated on the matter...
Don't confuse tread depth with grip. Knobbly tyres work best when they can bite into the surface so are good for gravel, mud and fresh snow for example, but on wet tarmac or concrete don't have the grip of something more road oriented as there is less rubber in contact with the road. (I learned that one the hard way).

Tyre choice will depend on your route. If it includes lots of off road it might be worth sticking with the knobblies. All tarmac and a slick like City Jets would work well. If it includes muddy (tarmac) lanes or gravel paths I'd suggest a touring tyre - I like Schwalbe Marathon, or Conti TourRide as a budget alternative.

OP
OP
M

Matt1705

Über Member
Thanks for the tyre advice. Most of the commute is on tarmac roads but there's a short stretch of canal path that's very lumpy tarmac.

Anyway here's a pic as promised :smile:
20141129_111611.jpg

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Nice bike, it'll do you well by the looks of it. Tyres: for your described riding I'd be on slicks, in fact my bargain Trek 800 is and is plenty happy on uneven gravel and mud through my country park bit. I'm doing 10 each way on mine and absolutely loving it right now. I've plumped for it as my 1st choice for the cold and dark months.

I'd consider a front mudguard or at least a crud catcher on the frame too. it is surprising how much clag the front wheel chucks back at you.

For total utility you could spend around £75 and get yourself a spare set of wheels with the same, or near as dammit, cassette and have a knobbly and slick set up that you can interchange in a matter of minutes if you wake up to 3 inches of snow or fancy taking it out into rougher muckier terrain.
This was the most expensive bit for me, £70 for the bits to put together a 2nd ready to go wheel set & I've still spent ~ £100 on the bike all in. It's a beater so its on Asda chain and cables, was in a very sorry state when I got it so was only a tenner to buy, but serviced, wheels trued, de-rust spotted & bodge sprayed (deliberately - I want it to look tired and unappealing to thieves) and lubed right, it looks like tat but runs beautifully.

Top Bottom