Back on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
:thumbsup:
Nice bike, it'll do you well by the looks of it. Tyres: for your described riding I'd be on slicks, in fact my bargain Trek 800 is and is plenty happy on uneven gravel and mud through my country park bit. I'm doing 10 each way on mine and absolutely loving it right now. I've plumped for it as my 1st choice for the cold and dark months.

I'd consider a front mudguard or at least a crud catcher on the frame too. it is surprising how much clag the front wheel chucks back at you.

For total utility you could spend around £75 and get yourself a spare set of wheels with the same, or near as dammit, cassette and have a knobbly and slick set up that you can interchange in a matter of minutes if you wake up to 3 inches of snow or fancy taking it out into rougher muckier terrain.
This was the most expensive bit for me, £70 for the bits to put together a 2nd ready to go wheel set & I've still spent ~ £100 on the bike all in. It's a beater so its on Asda chain and cables, was in a very sorry state when I got it so was only a tenner to buy, but serviced, wheels trued, de-rust spotted & bodge sprayed (deliberately - I want it to look tired and unappealing to thieves) and lubed right, it looks like tat but runs beautifully.

Would definitely get a crud for the front, will make a huge difference.
Giant are great bikes, had mine for 18 years, still in lovely condition when I gave her away.
Have fun

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi and welcome again.

The 20 mile thing isn't really the issue...for me at least. The issue for me is logistics, carrying shirts and underwear for a long commute (you will need a change of clothes) is tricky and took lots of thought.

I recently changed offices and have halved my commute to just 20 miles round trip but regularly seek out extensions to this to keep the miles up so don't worry about the distance.

As for the bike, for 4 years I commuted on a 20 year old MTB with road tyres and it did me proud. A few weeks ago I took her out of retirement and did a two day ride down to and along the coast...all she needed was air in her tyres...not a single thing else...had been stood for two years in the workshop without so much as a wipe with a damp cloth.

MTB's are good solid bikes that require very little to keep them on the road for your mileage.

By comparison, in two years I have replace numerous rims, blocks, brake blocks, chains, cables, tyres, tubes bar tape and earrings on my road bike, which probably covers less distance over the same timescale.

Top Bottom