Back on the bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vbc

9 weeks after my accident & 10 days after leaving t'ospital, I gingerly took the Kaff up and down the close a couple of times - helmet on of course. Felt a bit weird, not sure that my balance is back to normal yet but as they say, riding a bike is like, er..........riding a bike, apparently. Now, when is the next Exmouth Exodus pencilled in for?

chris42

good work fella!
best of luck getting back on ya feet!

Good on ya
I reckon it took me 6 months to get my full confidence back after my crash and it was obviously not as bad as yours if your were hospitalised.
At least your out there thats got to be a good sign.

TVC

Nice one VBC - Did I read your post right, you spent over 8 weeks in hospital? What did you do? It makes my 4 days in hospital after my prang seem rather weak.

OP
OP
V

vbc

Thanks all, briefly -

Not any memory of the accident but I think I lost control of the bike while over-taking a chum who'd stopped to adjust his brakes. Single track country lane at the top of a small hill, flew past my friend at his shoulder height, on my side and hit the deck on my left. Broken shoulder blade, broken ribs, partially deflated lung & mangled head (no helmet) with large haemotoma. No response to stimuli for about a week and no memory of the first three weeks. Started walking again about four weeks ago and made good recovery after that at the Brain Injury Rehabilitaion Unit. Some slight damage to the frontal lobe of the brain but hopefully not permament. Still off work though!

Jack

****ing hell.. glad you're alrite.

Shaun

Founder
My best wishes too :thumbsup:

... and don't worry too much about your confidence ... it'll come back, but it can take ages, so don't sweat it! Just focus on getting back on the bike and building up the miles again (slowly of course). :thumbsup:

Joe

Über Member
Congrats on getting back on the bike, and I hope your recovery continues well and confidence comes back. It sounds like a horrific crash:sad:

I had a very minor spill today, nothing more than bruises and grazes thankfully. It's the first time I've been caught out in the wet since getting a road bike and I stupidly leant in too much on a corner. Bike slipped straight out from under me:blush: Luckily their were no cars around and I was not going fast. Needless to say I took it even slower after that! I found it a bit odd that a pedestrian, who was about 15 feet away when it happened, just looked at me and carried on walking:wacko:
Oh and I bashed my left hand brifter so the hood is now pointed inwards slightly :thumbsup:

TVC

Much respect vbc and best wishes for a full recovery, have your family had a word about you getting back on a bike? I was hit by a driver who didn't see me, and now Mrs C insists that I always wear bright colours. I know it doesn't make much difference but it makes her feel better as she waves me off.

postman

Legendary Member
A BIG WELL DONE to you.Take things easy.Ialso think you need one of the new CYCLE CHAT jerseys that we are all talking about.That will give you some incentive to get really fit.Good luck with the future.

Top Bottom