Back pack for cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I need a new bag for work.
As I’ll do more commuting as the weather gets better I’m after a more cycling specific bag for my lunch. I don’t want to be spending silly money though & hi-viz with places to fit lights would be welcomed.

Pannier.

Don’t like the idea of having something strapped to my back in case I felll off.

vickster

Legendary Member
Deuter or Osprey are popular brands. Evans sell

How far is the commute? Are you a ‘sweater’? If so, if it’s just your sarnies, a large seatpost pack might be far more pleasant for you and your ham & cheese

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I get on quite well with THIS ONE. It replaced my old Camelbak bag after its zip failed. I find it an ideal size - big enough to carry everything I want to but not too bulky.

It has a mesh back to allow some ventilation and reduce sweatiness.

There was a loop at the top to hang the bag from but I found it kept hooking itself over the adjustment dial on my helmet so I cut it off. It isn't needed anyway, because the bag can easily be hung up by the straps.

I have had falls wearing a bag on my back and if anything it has cushioned the impact, but for obvious reasons I definitely wouldn't carry a screwdriver or other long pointy object in it in case of a fall.

Drago

Legendary Member
If it's just your lunch and nothing solid with pointy corners, one of the cycling specific Camelbaks with the built in adjustable back protector. Not especially cheap, but I've just retired my first one after 11 years of commuting and MTB training use (and Lowland Rescue very kindly bought me a new one!)

Anything beyond your lunch, wallet, and a clean shirt then I took would start thinking of panniers.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I’ve had a Polaris Aquanaught for 3 or 4 years, it’s fully waterproof and very visible, ticks all my boxes for a commuter backpack.
https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/AQUANOUGHT-WATERPROOF-CYCLING-BACKPACK-p/pol01-5076.htm

Edit - These Lomo branded backpacks are similar and cheaper.
https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/drybag-daypack.html#SID=116

Last edited:
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
10 miles but I want to use it for general use too. No panniers going on a racing bike.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
If it's just your lunch and nothing solid with pointy corners, one of the cycling specific Camelbaks with the built in adjustable back protector. Not especially cheap, but I've just retired my first one after 11 years of commuting and MTB training use (and Lowland Rescue very kindly bought me a new one!)

Anything beyond your lunch, wallet, and a clean shirt then I took would start thinking of panniers.
I actually own a camelback from my MTB days. Maybe could use that.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
You can always take the panniers off when you are not chasing a podium at a race. Think of the pannier as training.
No mounts on a carbon race bike. It would have to be some awful bodge around an aero seat post.

Top Bottom