Back Pain : Anyone here use wedges on their cleats/shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSV_Ecosse

Hi,

Way back in 1990, I had a serious motorcycle accident which resulted in my almost loosing my life. Had my spleen removed and shattered my lower right femur into a thousand tiny bits, the fractures ran into my knee joint.

The docs had to take a bone graft from my hip in order to rebuild the lower femur and knee joint. I was off work for almost 12 months in recovery.

Anyway, I had a load of meccano fitted in the leg to hold it all in place, which a few years later was removed. Everything back to normal now and it doesn't affect me at all in any aspect of my life or work ( I'm a firefighter - 19 years service ).

However, they did warn me that as a result of the rebuild work on my femur and knee joint, my right leg was @1-2cm shorter than my left leg was. It was recommended I use a small heelraise inside my footwear to attempt to offset any future back/hip alignment and posture problems.

Since starting cycling, this has always been at the back of my mind.

I use Ultegra SPD-SL pedals and Shimano R099 shoes.

I've been getting lower back pain after rides and it seems to manifest on only one side of my lower back/lumbar region. Sometimes its on the left side, other times its on the right side. Not a sharp pain, more of an "ache".

I did some looking around online and found that I could be compensating for the imbalance in leg length by lowering my bum cheek on the saddle and dropping it to one side, even by a tiny almost unnoticeable amount.

Had a look around and found these BFS Wedges available.

Does anyone use these or indeed, can anyone offer any practical advice on my situation?.

My bike has been set up properly when I picked it up at my LBS, although they did say that over time I may want to look into "tweaking" it to suit me exactly. I'm thinking of going for a proper "Bikefit" session though I have no idea if this will improve things for me relating to my back pain.

I don't want to just carry on regardless and think "Nah.....it's just you getting used to the new bike" just in case I do any damage to myself.

Many thanks for any advice.

Blue

Legendary Member
RSV_Ecosse said:
Hi,

Had a look around and found these BFS Wedges available.

Does anyone use these or indeed, can anyone offer any practical advice on my situation?.

I use these and found them useful for alleviating knee pain caused by accident induced leg asymmetry. FWIW, I read somewhere that even the great Lance Armstrong uses them!!

Joe

Über Member
I would say they are definitely worth a try. I got fitted for some after a severe bout of itbs in my knee and have had no problems since *touch wood*

Top Bottom