Does anyone use torque wrenches?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharleyFarley

I bought a torque wrench for one thing: the bolts on my new Specialized Fatboy disc brake calipers.

A few days after I bought the bike I noticed the caliper bolts looked odd. They were too long so the bike shop packed them with adjusting washers made for rim brakes; 3/4" (2 cm) of them.

I removed the bolts to cut them down, but one of the bolts was very resistant to being unscrewed; it fought me all the way out. I realized the 'bike mechanic' who installed them had cross-threaded it and forced it down all the way. $1700 for the bike and this was one of the two botch jobs they had done on it.

The aluminum casting is part of the frame, so I was leery of tightening it when I reinstalled the bolts (sans washers), so I bought a torque wrench; that's the only thing I've used it for. I've done all kinds of mechanical work over more than fifty years but the only other thing I used a torque wrench for was cylinder head bolts on cars. Like some other guys I go by feel, and I've never sheared a bolt off, stripped it or had one come loose.

I noticed on Park Tools' videos they use torque wrenches, but that's probably because they are a professional business, and would get hammered for not using one. I doubt that bike shops look up torque settings for each bike they service.

Alex321

Veteran
Carbon frames and other components tend to be more sensitive to torque requirements than metal ones.

So I bought a torque wrench when I got my carbon framed bike, and I do use it.

Big John

Guru
We've got one at the bike charity where I work and I've never seen it outside its box. That said we never, ever, have a carbon bike come in for service or repair. Obviously customers aren't daft and would rather take their expensive steeds to their LBS to have things done properly 😉

Venod

Eh up
A life long career of mending things for a living, you learn to use a torque wrench where it is required, a lot of the time you go by feel but you have to know when it's critical to use a torque wrench, I tend to use one on carbon components stems etc, but I have also used feel on the same components, what I have determined after a lifetime of tightening things, is my feel of tight is just a bit less than a torque wrench.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ashamed to admit I've never used or owned one.

presta

Guru
I have a torque wrench that I bought for the car which I use for the bigger stuff, but for the small stuff I just make do with a spring balance on the allen key.

Top Bottom