Torque wrench or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milena

I have a Carrera Crossfire 3 2023 bought this year new.

I am going to have to make multiple adjustments to the seat and seat post on the fly to get it so that I don't get tendonitis in my wrists anymore.
Do I need to buy a torque wrench?

I already made an adjustment today and I fear I overtightened the seat post screw, thread whatever its called. I just used allen keys to make the adjustments.

I also read that the more you pay for a torque wrench the more accurate, and that the whole point of the tool only makes it worth buying if it's accurate... as it needs to be to set the screws or whatever they're called, to the precise torque setting.

The site I was reading said this one is very good - https://www.tweekscycles.com/lifeline-pro-torque-wrench-hot793791/
but at basically £80 do I really need it?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
You dont need a torque wrench, but it is a very useful item to have. Just get a basic one such as this from Chain Reaction: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/lifeline-essential-torque-wrench-set

classic33

Leg End Member
I have a Carrera Crossfire 3 2023 bought this year new.

I am going to have to make multiple adjustments to the seat and seat post on the fly to get it so that I don't get tendonitis in my wrists anymore.
Do I need to buy a torque wrench?

I already made an adjustment today and I fear I overtightened the seat post screw, thread whatever its called. I just used allen keys to make the adjustments.

I also read that the more you pay for a torque wrench the more accurate, and that the whole point of the tool only makes it worth buying if it's accurate... as it needs to be to set the screws or whatever they're called, to the precise torque setting.

The site I was reading said this one is very good - https://www.tweekscycles.com/lifeline-pro-torque-wrench-hot793791/
but at basically £80 do I really need it?
They're out of stock anyway.

Big John

Guru
Nothing carbon by the looks of the spec I found on Google. Tighten it until it makes your eyeballs bloodshot but only if you're sure the original seat post hasn't been swapped for a carbon one. The frame isn't carbon either. A torque wrench is overkill for a sub £500 bike.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Torque wrenches can get you into trouble if you use them blindly. Ensure you follow the instructions for the part being fitted. Most bike threads are expected to be greased (which hugely increases the bolt tension and clamping force for a given torque), whereas automotive fasteners are usually assembled dry.

With click-type wrenches, start by setting them to a lower torque and work your way up, ensuring it clicks each time. It is not unusual for a wrench to refuse to click if the load is a bit eccentric (e.g. when using an extension bar or long socket), and you could strip the thread.

Check calibration regularly with a known weight.

Finally, be sure to read the right scale! Nm and lb-ft are close enough to be confusing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Torque wrenches can get you into trouble if you use them blindly.

I only use mine for the GXP BB as it needs to be on insanely tight and I don't have a big enough hex key to do up tight enough.

Jody

Stubborn git
You don't need a torque wrench. The face below is how to measure when the threads are about to strip.

Nd9GcRLyuvZxS9g-0PvP9WabexUtnbRWdMYi3z51A&usqp=CAU.jpg

OP
OP
M

Milena

You don't need a torque wrench. The face below is how to measure when the threads are about to strip.

View attachment 715873

Steve from the Canterbury bike project told me I need it today. He said especially for a beginner like you, whereas for experienced people like me, we know by feel. (he still uses parktool torque wrench). He said there's a reason why the torque ratings are written on bikes.

Jody

Stubborn git
Steve from the Canterbury bike project told me I need it today. He said especially for a beginner like you, whereas for experienced people like me, we know by feel. (he still uses parktool torque wrench). He said there's a reason why the torque ratings are written on bikes.

It may be a good.invesment until you get used to doing it.

I've never really used a torque wrench. Bikes don't require much torque on the majority of bolts.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Oh dear. Get a set of small hex keys, not the long ones, and you'll be OK.

Drago

Legendary Member
whereas for experienced people like me, we know by feel...

Ooh, that's torn it!

"At interbike 2017 PBMA hosted the Attack Torque Survey sponsored by Prestacycle. A test of a Professional's ability to naturally tighten a bolt to exactly 5.00Nm, 78% of participants stated they have worked as a Professional Mechanic. The Average Score was 6.22 Nm, about 25% in excess of the target specification. 56 people scored below the target, 97 people scored above the target. 34 people scored at least 20% below the target. 70 people scored more than 20% above the target. The lowest result was 1.41Nm - scored by more than one person. Seven participants scored within the 13's. The highest score was 13.96Nm."

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The instructions for my shower valve states that four screws should be tightened to 0.1 Nm. I assume this means "not entirely loose", because my chances of measuring it with one of my torque wrenches are less than zero.
BTW, if you do get a torque wrench, it's a good idea to back off the spring to zero then you store it to preserve accuracy.

Top Bottom