Back riding fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
Well the replacement Pompino has been finished - just awaiting the new saddle (using the horribly scuffed one from the crash at the moment). It looks good and in all respects should be the same as the others in terms of geometry, just different in colour.

However, I stuck the front deep section on as it was the nearest wheel to hand for a quick ride, and the gyroscopic effects were the worst I had ever experienced. I'm struggling to think why this may be a fixed only issue, but I've never had any handling problems on the TT bike or the road bike with a deep section. Wind wasn't as bad as some conditions either.

My idea to try a few 10TTs on it with a disc is rapidly losing its attraction.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I have deep rims on mine now and don't notice any difference. Not a problem. maybe its the frame?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Strange, my fixed TT bike has a deep section front wheel and a disc and its fine. Its goes nice in a straight line and it doesnt really effect it.
:angry:

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
You'd think that wheels wouldn't make much difference to the ride stability - I am on my 3rd medium sized Pompino in just under 3 years as well and the geometry hasn't changed.

The only thing different is that I now have a rear brake, but the cable outer is loose enough to not impede steering.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Will1985 said:
You'd think that wheels wouldn't make much difference to the ride stability - I am on my 3rd medium sized Pompino in just under 3 years as well and the geometry hasn't changed.

The only thing different is that I now have a rear brake, but the cable outer is loose enough to not impede steering.

3rd? Why?:angry:

Its the back brake thats doing it then, get rid of that.:angry:

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
3rd because I've gone into the side of two cars who pulled out on me! The frame nicely absorbs all the impact so the front wheel survives.

Tharg2007

Veteran
Will1985 said:
3rd because I've gone into the side of two cars who pulled out on me! The frame nicely absorbs all the impact so the front wheel survives.

thats good to know, wheels are stronger than pompino frames.
Question, why on earth did you get a second pompino let alone a third?

montage

God Almighty
Possibly to do with the fact that you had a deep rim on the front and not on the rear? I mean alot of the time sprinters on the track choose a trispoke or something similar for their front wheel due to handling difficulties which are produced from having two disks.... just an idea

Top Bottom