Back to front...tyre question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

My rear tyre is wearing much faster than my front tyre. If I swap them around to save the tread will it cause any problems? I cant see how but I'm a dork so i thought i'd ask some non dorks...ta.;)

Chris James

Über Member
I have done this in the past perfectly okay.

However, Sheldon Brown recommends against it, His reasoning being that a worn tyre is more likely to blow out and a front blow out would cause a bad accident whereas a rear one would be less dangerous.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

good point..ta. I think my tread is still safe enough though...I'll give it a go...erm...if I don't post for a while you'll all know what happened!;):biggrin:

Nooo! Don't do it BTFB!!!

Just buy a new rear tyre, its not worth the danger.

Your front tyre has to take 85% of your braking load, sometimes more in a very hard stop, it is also the tyre that gets loaded most heavily in fast corners - neither situation is good if the tyre breaks away.

Buy a new rear, leave the front if it is fine.

Tynan

Veteran
tyres ain't that expensive surely?

how about punctures? I've never had a blow out but I have had lots of punctures due to worn tyres

domtyler

Über Member
I have only ever read people strongly advising against doing this for various reasons. Just replace the rear tyre.

walker

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Nooo! Don't do it BTFB!!!

Just buy a new rear tyre, its not worth the danger.

Your front tyre has to take 85% of your braking load, sometimes more in a very hard stop, it is also the tyre that gets loaded most heavily in fast corners - neither situation is good if the tyre breaks away.

Buy a new rear, leave the front if it is fine.

Exactly what JRG said. It's easier and safer just to get a new tyre rather than just try and get some extra use out of a bad tyre. if you still have tread on the tyre then keep using it till you get puntures more frequently, then it's time to change

I am supersticious, and always buy 2 new tyres so don't have this issue. ;)

However I would advise when purchasing the new tyre (assuming it is not end specific like GP Force/Attack)

1) Fit the tyre.
2) Get course sandpaper and really attack the anti-mould coating, don't do the sidewalls though!!
3) Take it easy until you are sure the anti-mould has gone.

Mortiroloboy

NEVER ever put your old back tyre onto the front wheel, for all the reasons stated above, and I always replace both tyres together.

simonali

Guru
User259iroloboy said:
NEVER ever put your old back tyre onto the front wheel, for all the reasons stated above

Apart from the "blow out" bit, as it's impossible to have one on a bike. They're called punctures! ;)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It won't save you any money anyway, the overall rate of wear on both tyres will be exactlly the same. More importantly, because of the extra weight on a rear tyre it will square off much more prominantly than a front, so a well used rear will make the bike corner like an aircraft carrier if you put in on the front.

bonj2

tyres are only twenty quid, it's worth getting new ones just 'cos you don't like your old ones, or just 'cos you feel like it.

Top Bottom