Back tyre for wet rock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
Me? I go for something with Black Chilli compound from Conti. My budget may be different to yours though.

Have my MK ProTection tyres got black chilli compound? They weren't much use the other day when it was drizzling and everything had a fine coating of water. (Not that I'm complaining because I don't expect tyres to grip on wet rock - my running shoes don't either - but I am curious.)

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
no they won't...

Of course they will. Do you expect a slick city tyre to grip as well as a nobbly enduro tyre? If it does, we're all doomed.

Of course they will. Do you expect a slick city tyre to grip as well as a nobbly enduro tyre? If it does, we're all doomed.

On wet rock, you'll probably find that a 'slick city tyre' will have a better chance of sticking to wet rock than a knobbly - because there will be more rubber in contact. But it's irrelevant, because if the surface in question is slippery, then no tyre on the planet will give you grip on it.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I mean wet rocks, not a wet pavement. Of course a slick tyre (with grooves) grips better on a smooth, wet surface; otherwise we'd all have nobbly tyres on our road bikes.

As this is the mountain biking section, I assumed most people would understand that I was asking for advice relating to a wet, rocky, technical environment (ie my local trails). Patently, some compounds and tread patterns will be better than others in this situation.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Despite the OPs annoying habit of putting in lots of blank lines ahead of a weak punchline I rather think others are being a tad harsh here. It was a legitimate question and this thread has quickly become indicative of the sort of threads you find when you do a search for this type of information.

My 2 cents then Motozulu had it right and I'd aim for traction on the rear and grip on the front. B&Y is also correct in that nothing will grip well on wet rock and Greg is correct in assessing that the type of rock would make a difference as well. The smoother and shinier the less likely it will be to attain grip.

After that it's a case of shopping around and reading reviews, there are too many variables about riding style and terrain to overly rely on others recommends. It's a pain because few of us can afford to work our way through dozens of tyres to find the right combo. I'd spend the money on getting a front tyre that really does what I need and then go for cheap and cheerful on the back. Or at least I would if I wasn't so anal that the mismatching of the tyres would give me grief, so I end up spending the dosh at both ends :whistle:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
[quote="MacB, post: 2166498,

My 2 cents then Motozulu had it right and I'd aim for traction on the rear and grip on the front. :whistle:[/quote]

Aren't they the same thing?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
once we've figured out the definitive "what tyre for xxx conditions off-road" we can move on to the Arab-Israeli conflict.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
The blank lines are me taking a deep breath. Avoids the frustration causing me to lose my sense of humour.

Can somebody please close this thread? Nobody here has any experience of riding in wet, rocky conditions.

Dan151

Have a knobbly upfront then a less aggressive tire on the rear. Sometimes its not the tire its the style of riding that can make a difference. Try shifting your weight a bit and see if it makes a difference. Or go faster :laugh:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Have my MK ProTection tyres got black chilli compound? They weren't much use the other day when it was drizzling and everything had a fine coating of water. (Not that I'm complaining because I don't expect tyres to grip on wet rock - my running shoes don't either - but I am curious.)
Mountain King's II's are, by conti's own description, the swiss army knife of mtb tyres. Jack of all trades. Master of none? The tread pattern is not one that would be my first choice to use on slick wet rock, too knobbly, too sparse, even with black chilli.

For wet rock the nearer I can get to a slick tyre in a tacky compound the better. But rides aren't like that where I ride.

and I feel you can't judge a tyre from anyone until is is scrubbed in thoroughly.

Top Bottom