Back V-brake calipers right side feed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jovol

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can source some back V-brake calipers with right side feed?

My bike is an old AlpineStars mb.
20220310_111925.jpg

C R

Guru
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can source some back V-brake calipers with right side feed?

My bike is an old AlpineStars mb. View attachment 634672
I'm pretty sure that in v brakes the outer goes all the way to the top of the noodle, not to a stop in the frame. All you need is a longer loop of cable going over to the noodle on the left hand side.

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:

Surely that stop (that you have an outer slotted into in the image) is for a gear cable. How otherwise are you going to change gear?
And the brazed on bridge (above the seatstay bridge) is designed to take one end of a short brake cable outer leading to a central vertical pull down to a straddle wire and cantilever brakes.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
:welcome:

Surely that stop (that you have an outer slotted into in the image) is for a gear cable. How otherwise are you going to change gear?
And the brazed on bridge (above the seatstay bridge) is designed to take one end of a short brake cable outer leading to a central vertical pull down to a straddle wire and cantilever brakes.
That was my thinking. However, the bosses an be used to mount v brakes in the manner I mentioned, I did just that in my commuter.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It was never designed for V brakes but there’s no reason why you couldn’t use them. There will be a braze on guide on the top tube on the LHS where you run the outer from and that will go to the noodle Instead of going to the central bridge mount. Run should be okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Get yourself some modern Canti's and ride with style...

Important note: whichever way you go you MUST match the levers to the brakes as they have different pull ratios. If you choose to convert to V- brakes the original levers will be no good, you'll need some direct pull levers.

Top Bottom