Back wheel centering.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Guys,

Had to take my back wheel off today; I put it back on but it may be slightly off center.

I'm awful at aligning such things; my questions is, will it really make much different if it's slightly off. The gears are changing like a dream, doesn't scuff the brakes etc.

C

Star Strider

If it's on a QR with vertical drop outs it needs to be all the way home, it should centre it's self if you do that.

Undo the the QR and seat it properly.

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

If it's on a QR with vertical drop outs it needs to be all the way home, it should centre it's self if you do that.

Undo the the QR and seat it properly.

It's all the way in, but if you twist either end of the skewer thing it moves the alignment left and right (I think?). This setting was moved when I was cleaning the wheel; now I'm not sure if it's centered?

Should it self center? :S- I'm not very technically minded, if you hadn't guessed.

Star Strider

Pull the QR out completely and look at how the ends of the axle sit there in the drop puts, all the QR does is clamo it in place, the QR does not move the hub side to side.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I normally have the bike upside down and push the wheel down quite firmly all the way into the dropouts to ensure its all the way in and straight. I'll be the first to admit I don't understand why, but like Chescadence with the QR open the wheel will sit a couple of mm away on either side which is a noticeable angle at the outside of the wheel and makes pads touch the disc rotor, but its fine if pushed all the way in before QR is closed. :smile:

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

Thanks guys,

I shall undo the QR completely, make sure it's seated and give it a good push all the way and then close the QR again.

Sorry for the stupid question; as said, I'm more of an academic/theorist in my day to day life, I'm not the most technically minded hands on person...I can't even drill a hole straight :wacko: ha ha

C

Top Bottom