Back wheel gog swap for kids bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Murray

Looking to replace the cog assembly from new geared back wheel and change out with freewheel cog single i.e. not geared it has two holes just like the TDC raleigh part (shown in photo / link below)

[url="http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/RabidKoala/IMG_8560.jpg"]http://i46.photobuck...la/IMG_8560.jpg[/url]

Already removed the axil from both and original geared cog. Just looking to swap old cog over.

How can I remove the single freewheel cog from the wheel? Can I mechanically move this in an anti-clockwise direction using the holes? or What tool do I need?

(See photo)

Attachments

• clip_image002.jpg
    clip_image002.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 35

Cheule

Looking to replace the cog assembly from new geared back wheel and change out with freewheel cog single i.e. not geared it has two holes just like the TDC raleigh part (shown in photo / link below)

http://i46.photobuck...la/IMG_8560.jpg

Already removed the axil from both and original geared cog. Just looking to swap old cog over.

How can I remove the single freewheel cog from the wheel?Can I mechanically move this in an anti-clockwise direction using the holes? What tool do I need?

(See photo)

It kind of looks like a pin spanner hole arrangement. Pin spanners get a mention in this video.

tyred

Legendary Member
This is something I've done a few times. Those pin holes are actually holding the freewheel together. You can usually use them to unscrew the freewheel but sometimes they will unscrew and loosen the freewheel bearing. There are two notches in the centre, these are what you need to use, ideally with a tool which fits them but a hammer and punch or blunt chisel will work just as well. Hold the wheel beetween your knees with the freewheel to the right and place the punch in tightly in the notch and hammer it in an anti-clockwise direction. It will take a few sharp cracks to get it to shift but once it starts to move, it will probably unscrew by hand if the threads were greased when it was installed. Hit it hard, small taps won't do the trick.

OP
OP
M

Murray

This is something I've done a few times. Those pin holes are actually holding the freewheel together. You can usually use them to unscrew the freewheel but sometimes they will unscrew and loosen the freewheel bearing. There are two notches in the centre, these are what you need to use, ideally with a tool which fits them but a hammer and punch or blunt chisel will work just as well. Hold the wheel beetween your knees with the freewheel to the right and place the punch in tightly in the notch and hammer it in an anti-clockwise direction. It will take a few sharp cracks to get it to shift but once it starts to move, it will probably unscrew by hand if the threads were greased when it was installed. Hit it hard, small taps won't do the trick.

Many thanks I will try this when I get home this weekend...!

Top Bottom