Backing up my laptop.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm looking at getting an external hard drive to back up my laptop, and have a few questions please?

Apart from making sure that it has at least the same capacity as the laptop what else should I look out for?

Do I really need to spend more than £50.00?

Will everything be backed up, folders, photos, desktop layout, downloads, etc?

If I have to, can this external back up be used to create a copy on a new laptop by restoring?

If it's of relevance it's running Windows 8.1.

Thanks in advance for any help given. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Any drive will do. Look for a 2.5" drive like the Seagate Backup Plus. Try and get as much storage as you can, 1-2TB as a start.

Most come with automatic software. Main thing to back up is My Documents as most of your stuff ends up in there.

Or you could use a disk cloning software if worried about a complete HD failure, but you will need two drives, one for the complete clone, one for backups.

Your other option is cloud based backup - we use one-drive to backup pictures - they are the things we don't want to lose.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You may find it worth checking out this recent thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/whats-the-best-way-to-clone-a-2tb-disk.218073/

FWIW, I ended up going the robocopy route (Msg 11) and it worked a treat. It sounds a tad techy if you're not used to such things, but really it's as easy as pie. And - no offense - if all you want is what you say, you don't need 'as much storage as you can' - just get the storage you need, which is as you say 'at least the same capacity as the laptop'.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Do not rely solely on cloud based backup as your only means of protecting stuff you don't want to lose.

Otherwise... What they said.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
What I'm trying to do is recreate the laptop, with the accounts as well, so should the need arise I can dump the back up onto a new laptop.

Or isn't it that simple?

midlife

Guru
What I'm trying to do is recreate the laptop, with the accounts as well, so should the need arise I can dump the back up onto a new laptop.

Or isn't it that simple?

Isn't that drive mirroring? I back up on a Seagate backup plus slim but only backup data not the programmes themselves.

Shaun

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This has prompted me to backup my old laptop. I am reformatting my USB backup drive and I forgot to use the 'quick' option. It has taken 25 minutes to do 12% so it looks like it will be 3 hours before it is finished.

It is an old USB 2 drive. I think I will buy a USB 3 drive for my new laptop because this is PAINFULLY slow! :laugh:

PS The backup took almost as long as the format did!

Last edited:
Top Bottom