What's the best way to clone a 2TB disk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Windows 10 seems to copy files simultaneously, which sounds like trouble to me when you're talking hundreds of large files. A friend recommended Teracopy, and that seemed to be going pretty well until suddenly...it wasn't. Just ground to a halt and sat there sulking. Any tips, tricks and free program recommendations appreciated.

Have a Google for Clonezilla

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MiniTool Partition Wizard - it does the cloning in a jiffy and it's free. Used it 4 times when moving various computers over to SSD.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks...but I'm wondering if I may have misled by trying to use language I'm not entirely familiar with. Basically I want to copy 700-odd movie files - mostly MP4 or avi - from one big drive to another. Would one or other of these tools be the best option for this task?

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
There's a free Microsoft tool called SyncToy that sounds ideal for the task. I've used it for similar tasks - moving music and video files around, and it works well.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
'Sounds like trouble' ... Did you try a straightforward copy and actually have trouble with it, or did the fear of trouble put you off trying? :laugh:
I'm still waiting for disk#2 to arrive, but yes, I've found in the past that copying a then b is quicker & more straightforward than copying a & b together. Things may have moved on, but last time I tried it on lots of files my PC got very grumpy.
There's a free Microsoft tool called SyncToy that sounds ideal for the task. I've used it for similar tasks - moving music and video files around, and it works well.
That sounds perfect - thanks!

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Does this work with W10 - website says W98 = most recent?
Googling suggests yes:

upload_2017-5-8_15-52-57.png

D

Deleted member 26715

Take both drives out of Windoze machine connect them to a Linux machine go to command prompt type in
cp /media/disk1/*.* /media/disk2/. #confirm paths
Go make a cup of tea, come back disconnect drives & put them back in Windoze machine

LetMeEatCake

Another option (if you're happy using the command prompt) is robocopy (Windows Robust File Copy). It comes with Windows so should already be installed. Example usage - open command prompt and enter the following:
robocopy E:\ F:\ /E
That copies drive E: to drive F: and includes all subfolders (/E). It's clever enough to skip files it's already copied, so you can use it to keep the target drive up to date too. There's loads of options for fine-tuning its behaviour too if you want to geek out - robocopy /? to see the full list.
(oops - simultaneous posting with LonesomeWanderer)

Last edited:
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Having said which, assuming my source is G and my destination H, would this be:

robocopy G:\ H:\ /G

or should it be

robocopy /s G:\ H:\ /G

and either way, am I right in thinking the end bit's

H:\[space]/G