Bad attitude of northern rail conductor towards me as a cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Just thinking, was it a cattle truck (single carriage)?

They are seriously short of space, although even then if your bike was in the train ok then there shouldn't have been any problem.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
No, two carriages. It wasn't all that busy either, just seemed everyone had a suitcase.

Cyclist33

Don't get me started on the farking trains. The other week the Virgin guard kicked me off one train because as he had it, there wasn't room for me, my bike and my 4 year old. This despite the fact he was allowing 5 other bikes already onto a 4-bike train, and had singly failed to shunt all the dim foot passengers who were cloistered in the pre-cabin vestibule instead of bothering to go find seats. So then I had a tearful child to contend with as well as a prickfaced guard and an equally inflexible bint at the ticket office.

Another time recently, I was stood at the platform with my bike, and the platform mistress came up to me and said, amiably so it seemed, "you do know it's carriage C for the bike, okay?". To which I: "Well, I do now - thank you very much" (spoken without irony). Then she said, still to all intents and purposes amiably, "Just make sure you let everyone onto the train first, coz it's the Races, see, and so the train's very packed." I made the right noises, but you can bet your bottom farking dollar I ignored that instruction! It's hard enough getting a bike on the train at the best of times, but to be demoted to last man on despite paying the same for my train ticket as any other dick... simply for having a bike.

And Virgin think it's unfair they lost the West Coast concession. Jeez.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
OTOH the guard on the massively overcrowded TPE from Middlesborough to Northallerton a couple weeks back was very helpful getting all 6 of us onto the train (bike space takes 2 officially), evicting the people sat in the bike space and even helping me wedge my bike in the luggage rack opposite.

I won't say travelling in a train at maximum crush load was enjoyable, but the guard was very helpful :smile:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Last time I took a bike on a train, it was the Virgin London Euston to Birmingham service, and they couldn't have been more friendly or helpful.

TobyM

This sounds like pretty good compared to what I'm used to with Arriva Trains Wales, I usually end up stood by the door having to get off the train at every stop to let people on/off... having said that I hardly ever have to wait for a delayed train as you do with most companies so I shan't complain too much.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've never had any problems with Virgin on the West Coast Mainline, shame they've lost the franchise.

I was on a Southern railways train through Gatwick one morning with 3 bikes all strapped into their place correctly. Passengers were standing all around us as the train was packed. Two middle aged ladies began complaining "They really should have a special carriage for bikes". One of the people I was with decided to be helpful and said "They do have one. You're standing in it"

Herbie

Veteran
Get your own back!

Had similar with people getting on at Exeter

He insisted they the suitcases and in this case the food trolley as well had to go in the bike area. I offered to move by bike into the aisle, but was told it had to be in the bike space, and basically "tough". He then proceeded to totally ignore my explanation about why I did not want the bike blocked in or to let me show him my ticket.I was then told to stop interfering and return to my seat, and he would check the ticket later.

So I patiently waited until they were done, and then stopped the guard and pointed out that (as I had tried to explain ) I was getting off at Newton Abbott on about 12 minutes and would need to get the bike off. . Which was now blocked in..... And I did not want to delay the train at the Station.

So, amidst much muttering They had to unpile the bags and let me off
Does anyone remember when most trains had guards vans? you could get loads of bikes in them..we won't see them back again but it would be great

mattobrien

Guru
Our service into London still has a guard van, a great big thing, just for bikes. Very useful when travelling to London for the Dunwich Dynamo earlier in the year.

The alternative is to buy a folding bike. No issues getting it on the train and it helps with N+1 :wahhey:

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I had to pop to the station to collect some tickets, and guess which friendly train conductor was standing at the door?!
He actually smiled at me and said something to his colleague but all I caught was "..bicycle.." Possibly missed "look at this silly bint with her"
Still waiting for a response to my complaint.
It's good to know that other people have happier tales of train travel though.

Top Bottom