Bad back again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I thought foam rollers and backs were a no no or be extremely careful due to possibility of hyper extension.
He said his upper back is tight, I've been recommended by physio for shoulder...but of course, as I said he should discuss with his physio/chiro :smile:

Jody

Stubborn git
He said his upper back is tight, I've been recommended by physio for shoulder...but of course, as I said he should discuss with his physio/chiro :smile:

I see. I thought it was all areas of the back were off for a foam roller but wasn't sure.

gbb

Legendary Member
I've suffered a bad back since 1977, its rarely took me off work but equally I've spent months and months on end with stiffness, achiness etc and it brings you near to depression . Docs seem unable to do anything, just muscular rheumatism they say.
Stretching...which I don't do anywhere near often enough, paracetamol and occasional low dosage of Diclofenac / Voltarol for me. (I buy my Voltarol in Spain at an absolute fraction of the cost here...but always have taken it sparingly and only when the stiffness is overwhelming) Diclofenac / Voltarol of course was taken off prescription then taken off override the counter a few years later due to potential heart problems I gather.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get a DSE assessment on your desk. I have an electrically adjustable desk - I set mine about 3-4 inches higher than it would normally be and have a chair with a 'pump up' lumbar support. I find it helps me. If I have to use a desk at normal height, I find I end up stooping, which really causes me back problems (since fracturing my spine).

PS Aldi have foam rollers in this weekend. Might just get one myself.

Haven been lucky most of my life with a good back (recent MRI scans say my discs are in great nick for my age) but since my spinal injury and loss of half of one of my vertebrae, I now really appreciate how debilitating back pain can be.

Take advise from a physio that's knowledgeable with backs. Mine has been great, and I also have a good contact with a Clinical Physiotherapist at work who is an expert on backs.

Slick

Guru
I'm off the bike again from a bad back! This is the 3rd time it's happened in around 5 years. I am currently seeing a chiropractor who says it's due to having a desk based office job where I don't move around. I used to go to the gym in the mornings to do back and leg exercises to try and avoid back pain. I was off the bike for around 6 months last time.

Has anyone else suffered from back pain? How did you overcome it? Driving me crazy not being able to ride the bike.

I'm only 37 so not too old!

Thanks for any help and advice.
Obviously were all different, but for me, I need to go to a gym for some type of resistance training for my back. It's a strange phenomenon as far as my understanding on the subject, but my bad back comes from years of hard work and abuse. I then looked for things to take the weight of my back when doing other things like golf by using a trolley, only to discover my back worked better under a small load so now I'm back to carrying my golf bag again. When I feel a twinge or two, I know I have a choice of either visiting the gym or the chiropractor, who does offer instant relief and any worth his salt would follow that up with suitable advice on how to keep your particular area of concern supple. I also think yoga or pilates would benefit most people suffering back pain, but for some reason, I just can't get in to it.

Top Bottom