Bad experience with LBS - Dare I goto Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I had a little bit of hassle with my Giant Defy 5 when I first bought it from a LBS . After a few trips back to them I took it to a giant store and told them I was getting bullshitted . They sorted the bike out for free , didn't tell me what the problems where but I guess they all talk locally so I don't blame them for that . I guess it was just taking some time to refit a few bits that where wrong on the build but who knows .
Since then I just go direct to giant .
As for having all the kit . That's also bullshit .
Great kit is nice when you are learning but once you know what you are doing you can ride just as fast on a crap bike , take great pictures with a crap camera and make a cheap guitar sound sweet .

puffinbilly

Veteran
I would take it to the official Giant shop in Newcastle (well Prudhoe) http://www.giant-newcastle.co.uk/en-GB/
I'm sure there's plenty of fellow cyclists on CC local to you that could have a look at it for you - I'm in Newcastle and can fix most things bike wise if you want to meet up.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
If it was myself I would email or write to Giants head office in the Netherlands, explain to them the details when and where you bought the bike. Explain to them the hassles you had from the shop you bought the bike from. Most certainly explain that you feel that either during when the bike was being assembled at the factory of at the Bike shop items were incorrectly fitted, ie crankset locking nut assembly damaged.
You have nothing to lose but maybe something to gain. Whereas they have a reputation to maintain
+ 1 for this.

TomGuile

Regular
Hello, if emailing the manufacturing fails to work, I just thought I would point out that 1) if the bike wasn't fit for it's purpose and 2) if you specifically asked for a bike that would be for for a certain purpose and it was not fit for that purpose, you can take the shop to the small claims court if you can prove one or the other. It comes under some consumer laws, I can dig out a book if anyone wants further info. Just some helpful advice.

Zoidberg

I'm with Craig on this one and really surprised by the outcome you've had. I've bought 2 bikes from the shop since it opened and never had a single issue with the service from the guys, they've even identified problems during servicing I wasn't aware of and saved me a small fortune in the interim. Hopefully its just a one off issue you've experienced and won't discourage you in the future.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I wonder how long before he realises.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
For what it's worth, the shop in the OP closed a year or two ago, although their other branch is still open in Sunderland.

They seemed to want to take the Chester-le-Street shop in a more up market, roadie direction.

They turned the first floor into a bike fit studio, charging accordingly.

Always a bit ambitious for Chester-le-Street, although they may have been trying to turn it into a destination store.

@jongooligan is local and may know more.

I made the 'mistake' of inquiring in there about an Orbea Katu - a 20" wheel flat bar shopper.

The bloke was quite snotty about it, even denying the existence of the bike.

I put that straight by referring him to the Orbea website.

To be fair, he did then contact the Orbea rep who found me a Katu at a shop in York.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
For what it's worth, the shop in the OP closed a year or two ago, although their other branch is still open in Sunderland.

They seemed to want to take the Chester-le-Street shop in a more up market, roadie direction.

They turned the first floor into a bike fit studio, charging accordingly.

Always a bit ambitious for Chester-le-Street, although they may have been trying to turn it into a destination store.

@jongooligan is local and may know more.

Both bike shops in Chester le Street are closed now. although Stu Maven from Cestria Cycles is still doing repair work. DM me if anyone wants their contact details passed on to him. He's very good.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
You realise you’ve made a suggestion to an original poster who last visited the forum over 5 years ago (21 July 2014)

G52cw9I.jpg

winjim

Smash the cistern
What are you up to @nikkiss? You could be the first person who has gone on my ignore list while still a new member.
I thought the car tax one might be a troll but this is like the third LBS thread or something. But no posts on any recent threads at all. If it's a troll it's a good one because here I am spending my time talking about it...

Top Bottom