Bad experience with LBS - Dare I goto Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They are called chainring bolts, plenty of easing fluid (WD40, Plusgas ect) a allen key head thats slightly bigger knock it in, and preferably with the right size ratchet it may come undone (try tightening first as it sometime helps break any rust seals) failing that it may be possible to drill it, it will only be the bolt that is damaged.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
There's a long established family LBS in Rochdale I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. They set up a new bike for me, had it back after 15 minutes - explosive blowout almost immediately - and had it for 3 days, they failed to spot the tyre bead was faulty causing the problem and fed me some utter Bull manure that tyres were manufactured within a window of size specification and some could be sufficiently loose on a rim, even at 80+psi that they would blow off when ridden and were very straight faced when I was telling them I thought that was crap & even if true where was my new tyre. They refused a new tyre telling me they didn't have M+ as stock but I didn't need one as they'd totally fixed this by putting 2 layers of rim tape in, sending me on my skeptical way assuring me they'd extensively test ridden the bike and it was fine now. I gave them some credit as they are an established shop and I'd not heard any horror stories locally about them. 10 minutes later they tyre blew off again. A cursory inspection showed it was a manufacturing fault in the bead & I sent it straight back to Schwalbe who replaced it with no quibble. Never been near the LBS again.

RebornBumbler

I would suggest you never give them another penny - for whatever reason they seem to have decided to treat you shabbily.
Also apply normal customer service feedback procedures by telling everyone who will listen what a bunch of obnoxious sods they are :smile:

Find another shop, and also try to do your own maintenance and repairs as much as possible - people here will help, and there are many useful resources on YouTube (some of the US ones go-on a bit ;) )

Bicycles are intrinsically simple devices, and repairing them (once you have the tools) is generally straightforward.
There are no down-sides to working on your own bike - it's all plusses!

Cubist

Still wavin'
What you didn't make clear, and I suspect from your later posts, is that the bike was secondhand? If so, there is only so much the bike shop will do before you need to replace components. If you have replaced the chain, then I suspect it's jumping because either the chainrings or the cassette, or both, are also worn. As a chain stretches it wears the cassette in such a way that a new chain will not mesh properly with the shape of the teeth.

£50 quid for brakes including a £25 servicing charge isn't bad. They'll charge you retail price for the blocks and cables, and an hour's labour for the fitting. Brake pads and cables would cost you about a tenner if you shop around and fit them yourself, but if you don't learn to do it then you will be at the mercy of people who have a living to make.

The frequent punctures may be down to knackered rim tape. Take the tyre off and look to see whether there are any areas where the spokes are exposed.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I also forgot to say that you haven't got a very good relationship with the LBS. Whether that's down to you or the shop is a matter for a much more complex debate, but I'd be looking elsewhere, and not be surprised if you are offered advice at odds with what you believe. How you take that advice may form the basis of your relationship with your new LBS........

OP
OP
S

splreece

Regular
thanks guys...

i just assumed expensive stock and LBS = reliable and tr
What you didn't make clear, and I suspect from your later posts, is that the bike was secondhand? If so, there is only so much the bike shop will do before you need to replace components. If you have replaced the chain, then I suspect it's jumping because either the chainrings or the cassette, or both, are also worn. As a chain stretches it wears the cassette in such a way that a new chain will not mesh properly with the shape of the teeth.

£50 quid for brakes including a £25 servicing charge isn't bad. They'll charge you retail price for the blocks and cables, and an hour's labour for the fitting. Brake pads and cables would cost you about a tenner if you shop around and fit them yourself, but if you don't learn to do it then you will be at the mercy of people who have a living to make.

The frequent punctures may be down to knackered rim tape. Take the tyre off and look to see whether there are any areas where the spokes are exposed.
OOHHH NOOO

it was new - better bloody not have been a 2nd as i paid retail price for it.. and they said its new.

i suspect they sold it before, it was returned and they tried to fix the chainring bolts but decided to blow it off and sell new to the next newbee

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hmmmm. Something's not right, as you say. Someone has rounded off the chainring bolt, either on building it (it will have reached the LBS from the factory like that I suspect) or since, but no one is holding their hand up to admit it.

0lonerider

Veteran
if you know the concord area of washington try CYCLE FIX -it used tobe called houton cycles,
its new owner is a ex downhill mtn bike champion, he runs the shop and does the repairs services ect.
we called in while on a ride for a bit advice with a disk brake prob and he fixed it in 2mins so we could continue our ride,
10/10. mate thanks.
oh he showed me mate how to ride a kona lol.
great wheelies!
well worth the visit!

up hill struggle

just a thought but if the tubes have been replaced & there's definitely nothing coming through the tyre & causing the punctures could it be a problem inside the rim?

im thinking of a loose spoke & nipple squeezing the inner tube & causing the puncher there is rim tape on the inner rim which should have prevented anything like that but it may not be centered correctly or may even have something stuck below it like a bit of metal filing that's causing the punchers, worth checking!

in saying that i may be barking up the wrong tree or blowing up the wrong tyre or what ever the cycling term is for that's not right but just a thought.

i cant think of another reason that you would be getting. So many punchers other than your just painfully unlucky.

OP
OP
S

splreece

Regular
lol... well i think i will use it as a training tool...... but the love for that bike has gone so will get a new bike and hopefully learn of fiddling with the giant.....

OP
OP
S

splreece

Regular
thanks guys for all your advice.. ive gone an bought a halford cx comp... so will see how this one fairs...

OP
OP
S

splreece

Regular
lol...it must be a pre-requisite of funny lbs's to blagg .......badly....

anyone with a nonce of common sense wouldn't have said that.... "lightbulb" -

if there isn't onealready. would people be interested in a quick site that fed back poor lbs experiences... (not money making of course)

If it was myself I would email or write to Giants head office in the Netherlands, explain to them the details when and where you bought the bike. Explain to them the hassles you had from the shop you bought the bike from. Most certainly explain that you feel that either during when the bike was being assembled at the factory of at the Bike shop items were incorrectly fitted, ie crankset locking nut assembly damaged.
You have nothing to lose but maybe something to gain. Whereas they have a reputation to maintain

[QUOTE 3188222, member: 30090"]This, and I'm amazed with the wealth of videos out there on the internet that more people don't have a crack at it. The only time I go to the LBS for repairs is for a wheel being trued or a headset needs replacing. And this is only due to me not having the tools.[/QUOTE]
even this is easy on most modern bikes.

Top Bottom