Bad Luck or Poor Product?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mick1836

Über Member
Two months ago I purchased my very first road bike a 2017 Cube Agree C:62 SL and the bike is fitted with Schwalbe One tyres.

My other Cube MTB is fitted with Schwalbe Marathon Plus as was the Raleigh Hybrid it replaced, this make of tyre was chosen for there puncture resistant qualities.
Yesterday started out on a ride :bicycle:on the road bike only to get a rear flat tyre:sad:, tried pumping it up but it deflated as quick as I could pump:pump:, tyre circumference checked no obvious signs of nails or cuts.

Since buying the bike this was only my fifth ride covering 57 miles total.

On returning home and removing the tyre I found one or two pin holes in the tube close to the valve so as I see it NOT caused by anything going through the tyre?

So what could have punctured this inner tube?

One strange thing I noticed on this bike is that neither of the presta valves have a securing lock nut like this one shown as No.3
superstem.jpg

This does allow a small gap between the valve and rim in which a particle of grit could pass?

Anyone else has similar or got the new Schwalbe One tyres fitted?

Would welcome fellow riders views on both these tyres and my theory as how this puncture occurred?

Cheers :cheers:

snorri

Legendary Member
If the rims were not cleaned thoroughly after the spoke and valve holes were drilled, there could have been some swarf lurking about which could have caused your problem. I had that happen to me with a Trek bike, a puncture just a couple of miles from the shop on my way home with a new bike:sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If the rims were not cleaned thoroughly after the spoke and valve holes were drilled, there could have been some swarf lurking about which could have caused your problem.
I have had a similar problem. It wasn't so much swarf as a sharp edge to the valve hole which had slowly sawn its way through the rubber at the base of the valve. I smoothed off the hole back at home.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Not the tyres, but the tube has the problem. I've had Continental tubes which have failed around the junction of the valve and tube. I don't use them anymore. I don't think the lack of locknut is a problem either, in fact I prefer valves without a threadedy barrel/locknut, and now use Michelin which have a smooth barrel.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Many people remove the locknut as soon as they fit a new tube, and as far as I'm aware they don't have more puncture / foreign object problems than those who retain them. I'm a retainer... frankly I'm not sure why, they get on my t*t's with all the loosening that goes on from natural vibration, and the retightening that must follow.

I think you've been unlucky, give it all a check over, and put a new tube in. You'll be reet.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have had a similar problem. It wasn't so much swarf as a sharp edge to the valve hole which had slowly sawn its way through the rubber at the base of the valve. I smoothed off the hole back at home.
I've seen that happen too - with a bang! :excl: I think it's more likely if you use a hoseless pump, then all the push-pull of pumping is sawing the valve back and forth around the hole.

As for locknuts - I keep them just to help stop the valve disappearing into the rim when pushing the pump on. :pump: If you use only screw-on pumps, it probably doesn't matter.

OP
OP
mick1836

mick1836

Über Member
Thanks guy's for all you prompt replies.:bravo: I bought the Cube from Leisure Lakes Bikes who I cannot praise enough, my dealer when asked was only to happy to give me two Specialized 700 x 20-28c inner tubes one of which I have used to replace the punctured one, I did check around the inside of the rim around the valve hold as well the inside of the tyre for any debris, hopefully will now have many un-punctured rides?

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I think punctures as a rule are very much luck based mate......
Be lucky :smile::okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom