Bad service or is it just me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
unless you have no desire to try , and I do understand that some people have no mechanical understanding or would just rather pay someone else to do it

I can only add to the suggestions above , have a go yourself with the help of youtube etc ,you may be surprised just how easy it is, (get yourself some decent cable cutters), if you manage then all is good and you save yourself some dosh and learn something too, if you find you cant do it then off to the bike shop it goes but at least you will have tried.

vickster

Legendary Member
unless you have no desire to try , and I do understand that some people have no mechanical understanding or would just rather pay someone else to do it
That's me...my time is more valuable than the cost of taking the bike to the local LBS (there are a few around here, so no need to go to Evans or Halfords generally).

I've no interest in learning and no need to save that amount of dosh. So paying an LBS £40-50 for an hour to do a job that would probably take me 3 and would piss me off as well even if I could do it, makes no fiscal or wellbeing-related sense to me!

That said, a friend and I do plan to try to do rim tape and transfer a cassette and tubes/tyres onto my new wheels...wish us luck :crazy:

That's me...my time is more valuable than the cost of taking the bike to the local LBS (there are a few around here, so no need to go to Evans or Halfords generally).

I've no interest in learning and no need to save that amount of dosh. So paying an LBS £40-50 for an hour to do a job that would probably take me 3 and would piss me off as well even if I could do it, makes no fiscal or wellbeing-related sense to me!

That said, a friend and I do plan to try to do rim tape and transfer a cassette and tubes/tyres onto my new wheels...wish us luck :crazy:
'Twill be a doddle. And you'll end up ejoying it. No, really!
:biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

Oh, to be filthy rich.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP has been riding and servicing her own bikes since before I met her, nearly all the tools, the bike stand are all hers, she knows more about bikes than a lot of folks here. Up until recently I was of the feck it let the LBS do it school of thought, but I find the process interesting and therapeutic. I’m not at all mechanically minded, and sometimes things frustrate me, but I get there in the end.

Nope, I know I won’t
It must be said, having a workstand does make it all so much more bearable. I doubt i would do nearly so much without it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Cough, splutter - £10 an hour charged - you must be joking - £40 is pretty standard around here, with a minimum of £10 up to 15 minutes.

The moral of the story would be : take the bike to the shop, ask for an on-the-spot diagnosis and a firm price for the work (parts and labour). If the shop is any good then less than 5 minutes will identify issues/parts etc required. If they can't look immediately then leave the bike and ask for the details and firm quote before they start.

That's how I worked when I managed an LBS - no work was done without the customer being aware of all costs up front . . . . only very exceptionally was there a need to go back and report an additonal requirement or cost. That approach seemed to work and generated goodwill . . . . . but then unlike Evans I cared about what I was doing . . .

Rob
You see you proved the point i was making ,i was quoting on minimum wage to prove thatoverall £15 to have a clble pu in is not expensive

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Think im going to give it ago myself, im pretty sure i can do it but like someone else said sometimes its easier just to put in a shop and save all the agro, especially as i thought it was gonna cost me £35 to get cassette chain and gear service and £10 to get bar tape done.

I'll order a cassette removal tool and have a bash soon

Top Bottom