Bad wind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Anyone got any advice about cycling in the wind?

Improve your stability by filling your panniers with rocks.:whistle:

I get the winds from across the fens of flat cambridgeshire.

It just seems that lately its always bloody windy
angry.gif

Hip Priest

Veteran
I seemed to have the wind behind me until I turned onto the A1 roundabout near my house and got hit by a sidewind that blew me 2-3ft to the right. Thankfully, the driver going past was giving me a decent amount of space.

albion

Guru
I turned back after 40 miles, 8 miles from my focus point the other day.Bad wind did my knee in but at least the return leg was quite friendly.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Coming home tonight was bad - straight into a bad headwind, raining, uphill, in the dark on a 70mph dual-carriageway. At times it felt like I wasn't moving.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Today I was pelting along, hardly having to exert myself at all ... I felt so athletic, powerful, strong ... I came to a familiar hill ... and ascended it effortlessly! "This is it!", I thought, "I've finally made it into the same league as the Tour de France riders!" I am a cycling God today!
cool.gif
angel.gif
bicycle.gif
bravo.gif
cheers.gif

Then I turned a corner and almost came to a grinding halt as I realised I had been propelled up the hill by a powerful tailwind ... which was now a head/cross wind ...
mad.gif

albion

Guru
On my above ride I reached the trig point with my first thought 'it's mainly downhill now'.However the abrupt stop was not to admire the view, it was the wind doubling in speed once I'd left more sheltered parts.

carolonabike

I cycle into Sunderland too and I know what you mean!

I almost always have a head wind on the way home. Along the sea front is at least downhill but even then I often find myself peddaling; when I turn inland at Whitburn I always, always have a stiff headwind along Moor Lane which is very exposed. I just try to think of it as resistance training :biggrin:

Today is going to be particularly good training I think.

biking_fox

Guru
Just grin and bear it. Lower gear / faster cadence helps. slipstreaming buses / cyclists / lorries is a wonder.

Other than that, be prepared - especially at junctions, gates in hedges or between buildings in the suburbs, the wind will be funnelling in one direction down the road, but you can get very strong sidegusts as the 'true' wind makes itself known at the gap. Ride wider than normal.

OP
OP
baldycyclist

baldycyclist

Über Member
Chickened it today folks.
Was going to run in but decided that I needed a break.
Again - looking very gusty tomorrow
Will run in I promise!
B

Top Bottom