Badger badger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Wooohooo, saw my first badger last night, on the way home at 22.00ish by Leaves Green, just as I was coughing my lungs up after that nasty little hill.

Plax

Guru
What, have you never seen a real life badger before? Not even a squished one?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nope, apart from the dun run and a very few daytime audaxes and other rides, most of my riding has been urban. It's only recently that we moved out to Biggin Hill.

To be honest, I'm a bit shocked that I was excited to see a badger. My expectations for quality wildlife sightings have certainly dropped since leaving Africa.

simoncc

I've only seen one live badger in my whole life, and that was when I was driving through rural Wales in the middle of the night and one ran across the road. I was 17 before I saw a live hedgehog, though I'd seen hundreds squashed on roads before then.

Plax

Guru
BentMikey said:
Nope, apart from the dun run and a very few daytime audaxes and other rides, most of my riding has been urban. It's only recently that we moved out to Biggin Hill.

To be honest, I'm a bit shocked that I was excited to see a badger. My expectations for quality wildlife sightings have certainly dropped since leaving Africa.

They're surprisingly big buggers when you see them in real life.
I must say though on the subject of wildlife - I've only ever seen a live fox once, and that was exciting. Seen a dead one (funnily enough in the middle of the Britannia Bridge!) and was surprised at how big it was, a similar size to a small dog. Must have done some damage to the car that hit it.

Tetedelacourse

I conclude that the sound of Bentmikey coughing up his lungs is very similar to the mating call of the female badger. Count yourself lucky you weren't indecently assaulted.

p.s. they're hard to get a confession out of in court, used to being badgered you see.

Sadly two dead ones on the route home between Hove and Hassocks.

Last year one scared the hell out of me as I cycled home about 4am, they are surprisingly nippy and I'm sure I would have come off worse I it hadn't been so fast!

Maz

Guru
[mexican bandit]
badgers? BADGERS! We don't need no steeenkin' badgers!!
[/mexican bandit]

Johnny Thin

Somewhere down the B4116 one night I am sure there was a badger just waiting for me to go past so it could cross the road safely.

And on the hill before Ashby around midnight last Monday morning two deer bounded across in front of me - they always look white and ghostly, an identical situation to when I was in a car once and we hit one of them at 60mph.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Tetedelacourse said:
Are you saying you couldn't "take" a badger?

You definitely couldn't take on a Southern African honey badger, one of the toughest animals on the planet. Nothing fcuks with them, not even lions.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Saw one a couple of sunday's back down Shire Lane, not far from you, thing is, this one was also roadkill. A big bugger, must have made a nice dent in the car that hit it

Top Bottom