Bailed on a club ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Would do it but will be at Heathrow putting my 16yr old on a flight to Tanzania that day.
That's a pretty reasonable excuse! :okay:

As for the 'fat' thing... Admittedly, I was about 5 stone over my ideal weight at the time! :blush:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yikes! We've just taken 19 y.o. GtiJunior down to that Laaandon for his year's attachment and that was tough but... Tanzania? Wow.

DRM

Guru
Surely if you make enquiries to a club about joining, they should be asking what sort of level you ride at, it’s the one thing that’s off putting if you’re worried you’ll end up getting dropped in an unfamiliar area.
I think that with what I’ve read here, surely the best thing would be to send a potential new member out with a slower group so that the others can explain the does and don’ts of riding in a group, whilst being able to easily keep up, or even call it a training ride, some of those clubs discussed up thread need a lesser known pro to try and join and give the show offs a proper beasting up the hills!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Surely if you make enquiries to a club about joining, they should be asking what sort of level you ride at, it’s the one thing that’s off putting if you’re worried you’ll end up getting dropped in an unfamiliar area.
I think that with what I’ve read here, surely the best thing would be to send a potential new member out with a slower group so that the others can explain the does and don’ts of riding in a group, whilst being able to easily keep up, or even call it a training ride, some of those clubs discussed up thread need a lesser known pro to try and join and give the show offs a proper beasting up the hills!

That's exactly what my club does; they'll recommend a potential new member joins them on a shorter and easier ride to assess how they're doing. Some struggle on those (12-20 miles each way with a stop) and they can advise. There's a sister club for beginners which helps.

DRM

Guru
That's exactly what my club does; they'll recommend a potential new member joins them on a shorter and easier ride to assess how they're doing. Some struggle on those (12-20 miles each way with a stop) and they can advise. There's a sister club for beginners which helps.
That’s exactly what I mean, try & get a feel for how a new member will cope, then advise them accordingly, it’s really a worry how your going to fit in, let alone if you make a faux pas, or feel like you’re holding everyone up,but if it’s a small group, it can be less intimidating & I suppose if you get your timing right everyone can meet up at the cafe, having done their rides at the speed/distance they want, it’s the thing that puts me off is not being as quick uphill, I get there but I at my pace, understandable really when I have meds to keep my heart rate down, and to thin the blood that makes me slower uphill, but I still tend to average 14 to 15 mph out on my own.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Dunno where to put this but i guess it all comes under the same umbrella .
Seems a lot of the club are planning to do the st giles sportive but at £35 a pop im out , the more i think about it the more i feel im not right for the club.Last week someone else ran the club ride as i was off and attendance doubled.

davidphilips

Veteran
Dunno where to put this but i guess it all comes under the same umbrella .
Seems a lot of the club are planning to do the st giles sportive but at £35 a pop im out , the more i think about it the more i feel im not right for the club.Last week someone else ran the club ride as i was off and attendance doubled.

LOL Dont make any thing of it, chances are the reason there was twice as many there is due to your input the week , weeks or months prior.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Last week someone else ran the club ride as i was off and attendance doubled.
Nothing to do with fabulous weather and the summer holidays then?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think that with what I’ve read here, surely the best thing would be to send a potential new member out with a slower group so that the others can explain the does and don’ts of riding in a group

All the clubs I know of take this approach. My own would usually offer a brief description of our rides, terrain, average speed, distance etc. Depending on how the conversation develops we might ask the prospective new member about his/her experience. It isn't though an interview. Most people have the commonsense to join a ride they can complete comfortably.

While I agree s club has a responsibility to look after any member it's also true people should respect the group not attempt rides which are beyond them.

Each group runs a monthly "taster" ride intended to give members the chance to see if they are ready to progress to a faster group.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Nothing to do with fabulous weather and the summer holidays then?
Cant be surely ?
I was on the beach diet aka chips and ice cream :smile:
I think i need to chill a bit, i have had a difficult time over the last year what with lads ongoing issues , wife's stroke , MIL dieing etc et c maybe im doing a bit of lashing out in general .

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Maybe. How about dropping the ride leadership for a while and just see what happens.

Being 2nd/3rd claim on another club gets access to their rides as well.

For what it's worth I could never be a ride leader. I may look after a group while it's on the road sometimes but it takes a specific set of skills I don't have to lead.

D

Deleted member 26715

I think i need to chill a bit,
You're clearly emotionally involved in the club, it may well be best to either step back 100% for a period or if you can do it without it causing you more issues become one of the riders, allow somebody else to do the hard work & you just enjoy being pulled along. Now whether you can emotionally do that is another matter, that is not a criticism btw I'm not sure I could do half measures.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Maybe. How about dropping the ride leadership for a while and just see what happens.

Being 2nd/3rd claim on another club gets access to their rides as well.

For what it's worth I could never be a ride leader. I may look after a group while it's on the road sometimes but it takes a specific set of skills I don't have to lead.
well planning a imperial century on the 18th and so far i have 6 takers go figure

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

good turn out , sat cancelled due to weather so rides rescheduled to a day i can do , two groups to bosworth
p4amOGawK3w1T6c4D0PPo_yo1UxBd3IADMFyF6Ky8vfuxPnmXXEfCi-8RTaC6tKMZHS3eYvh7&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='View: https://www.strava.com/activities/2609929573/embed/9d1e399dd0b06ae001d2136b1b0d9dabbffd6148
'></iframe>

Top Bottom