Baked beans - what's your brand of choice?

Which baked bean do you prefer?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Baked bean loyalty seems to know no bounds (OK - there's Coke/Pepsi).
2 of the biggest arguments I can recall in my domestic life have been over my daring to serve-up Branston (the bean formerly known as Crosse & Blackwell) instead of the more usual household Heinz. Even Wimpers went ballistic at my effrontery.

Now, as any epicurean will appreciate, the Branston BB is clearly the finer product, the sauce thicker and richer clings effortlessly to the bean, the tomato flavour deeper and the tender bean texture superior to the flaccid runny sweet Heinz sauce and it's hard beans.
Other beans are of course available, and some compare well with the Heinz product, but nothing comes close to matching the all round superiority of the Branston product.
I will allow others to differ as long as they accept that they're wrong.

Over to you....

figbat

Slippery scientist
I'll admit to being a dogmatic Heinz user but I'll also admit that they aren't what they used to be. However they are best when cooked in a saucepan for a reasonable length of time, which thickens the sauce and softens the beans. I keep meaning to give other brands a try but the household might revolt.

vickster

Legendary Member
Supermarket own brand, usually Waitrose essential (with a free coffee ;) ) or Tesco. I am the household, although my strange cat does like to lick the bean juice off the plate (ditto with tomato soup).

I'm not a great brand loyalist, but I will only by full sugar Heinz Ketchup (the lower sugar stuff is minging)

Rocky

Hello decadence
Baked bean loyalty seems to know no bounds (OK - there's Coke/Pepsi).
2 of the biggest arguments I can recall in my domestic life have been over my daring to serve-up Branston (the bean formerly known as Crosse & Blackwell) instead of the more usual household Heinz. Even Wimpers went ballistic at my effrontery.

Now, as any epicurean will appreciate, the Branston BB is clearly the finer product, the sauce thicker and richer clings effortlessly to the bean, the tomato flavour deeper and the tender bean texture superior to the flaccid runny sweet Heinz sauce and it's hard beans.
Other beans are of course available, and some compare well with the Heinz product, but nothing comes close to matching the all round superiority of the Branston product.
I will allow others to differ as long as they accept that they're wrong.

Over to you....

That’s a bit long winded, Fabbers

dicko

Guru
Ring pull Aldi for us. Sainsbury’s cheap BBesns are very runny. Small tin of Heinz beans in Asda £1 shocking!

Sharky

Guru
There was a man, living away from home and living in digs. He came down stairs one morning and his landlady gave him beans on toast for breakfast. He liked them so much, that he asked for another round, then another, then another before going off to work.

Later that afternoon, there was a knock on the door and his landlady opened the door to find a policeman. The policeman said he had some very bad news. The lodger had thrown himself off the bridge and killed himself.

The landlady was shocked and said, I don't know why he would have done that. He was full of beans this morning.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Since Heinz have put their price up to £.99¼p per can, I refuse to buy them.
HP are just as tasty and a lot cheaper, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom