Baked beans - what's your brand of choice?

Which baked bean do you prefer?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Not tried HP, need er even knew they did them. I'll give them a spin.

DSC_2714~2.JPG

Voilà!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There was a man, living away from home and living in digs. He came down stairs one morning and his landlady gave him beans on toast for breakfast. He liked them so much, that he asked for another round, then another, then another before going off to work.

Later that afternoon, there was a knock on the door and his landlady opened the door to find a policeman. The policeman said he had some very bad news. The lodger had thrown himself off the bridge and killed himself.

The landlady was shocked and said, I don't know why he would have done that. He was full of beans this morning.

1684419180540.jpeg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I don't really care, but i do like brown sauce or Worcestershire sauce with them.

and am i imagining it or do the heinz ones in the plastic pots seem different to heinz in traditional tin / can?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Branston are the best in my experience, although I can't be bothered to hunt for what is a marginal gain.

If confronted by a watery sauce, I grate some cheddar into the pan and/or a squirt of tomato paste.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member

Do most of my shopping at Aldi and rate their beans just as nice as the other brands imo

I just go with the cheapest beans in which supermarket I'm in. I honestly can't tell any difference between the cheapest beans and likely most coming from the same factory anyway. If I want them to taste a little different I might add a tiny bit of curry powder, chilli powder or something else. I think the cheapest I've bought recently was 26p might have been Sainsburys. I'm not actually that keen on Heinz beans I actually prefer the cheaper beans but can't really give an opinion on Branston beans as its been a long time since I tried them. The only beans I can remember being terrible was years ago there was Safeway beans where all the liquid came straight out and all the beans were mashed up at the end of the tin. Also when Lidl first opened they did cheap beans which had a weird flowery taste which was quite unpleasant but in recent years no problems. Ultimately its just beans in tomato sauce so I don't think there should be too much variation. I can fully understand why some might prefer Heinz as they are a little different to the more generic beans but personally I prefer generic beans but the difference is so marginal. If the cheap beans tasted like Heinz I'd buy those despite preferring the more generic tinned beans.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Baking in orange slime is the very worst way to cook haricot beans.

All other beans are delicious. Except broad beans, obviously.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had a tin of Branston this week, been in the cupboard a while, 6 months out of date, bleurgh flavour and texture, will be sticking to essential Waitrose!

Top Bottom