balance bike for kids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
In my opinion, none are to be recommended.
I prefer this.

Something wooden that looks stylish and is pretty light. There is good chance you may end up carrying it while he/she musters up the enthusiasm to get on and waddle. Our kids picked it up around 3 1/2 - 4.

OP
OP
G

ginajeeps

Something wooden that looks stylish and is pretty light. There is good chance you may end up carrying it while he/she musters up the enthusiasm to get on and waddle. Our kids picked it up around 3 1/2 - 4.

Oh yes, the weight is important. I will have a look at that. thanks!

OP
OP
G

ginajeeps

They vary in price a lot but they are all pretty similar and will soon be grown out of so don't bother looking for the best.

My granddaughter loves the wooden one I bought from a charity shop for £5 and zips everywhere on it.

Is the wooded one okay in the rain??

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
The important thing about balance bikes is to not force the kiddies to use them. Let them find them at their own pace and play with them.

BurningLegs

Veteran
In my opinion, none are to be recommended.
I prefer this.
You’ve linked to a balance bike?!!

The important thing about balance bikes is to not force the kiddies to use them. Let them find them at their own pace and play with them.
Exactly. My kids initially played by spinning the wheels and ringing the bell before going anywhere near the saddle.

Weight is super important. When you weigh 10-15KG then a 1KG difference is a significant difference in weight to be lifting off the ground!

We went for a Strider 12 to begin with - aluminium so nice and light. Then we moved upto the Strider 14 which has removable pedals for the progression to pedals (in our case at the age of four).

jammax

It depends on the inner leg measurements but the standard size balance bike has a 12 inch wheel which normally covers you boy from 2 to 4 years old

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
are you Ok - that is a balance bike you've recommended?:wacko:

to the OP, Something cheap light and second hand from someone who has progressed onto pedals
Thanks T4tomo, I realize my error. In our household, what I now know are balance bikes are known as draisiennes after the inventor Karl von Drais. To be called a draisienne it would seem that the French took up his idea much more enthusiastically than his native Germans. Plus ça change!

I took the term 'balance bike' to be a bike that does the balancing for you, in other words, one of those ghastly contraptions with stabilizer wheels that prevent children from learning to do what, with a draisienne, comes naturally.

Thanks for the chance to clarify. ^_^

Top Bottom