Ball Bearing Sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Question about ball bearings.

I'm going to be visiting somewhere soon where there is an 1980s Peugot in a garage. I've seen it before and IIRC it's just neglected - but not in bad nick. I've promised to have a look at it and do things like clean and regrease the bearings, replace the cables, clean and lube the other bits. I'll just do what I have time for.

Truing wheels/replacing spokes is not in my skillset, so if the wheels are shot I won't bother doing anything.

I'm thinking of taking some spare ball bearings? If so, what size? For BB, wheels, headset and pedals. Are there standards?

BB - 1/4"?
wheels, a bit smaller - 3/16??
Headset teeny ones - Sheldon says 5/32" or 3/16" size
Pedals. Not a clue.

I'll take a vernier caliper.

If I don't get around to finding any new ball bearings, I figure that clean and regrease will be worthwhile in any case. Do you agree?

I may take a chain too as I imagine the existing one will be rusty. The owner can take care of tyres/tubes and brake blocks.

f I don't get around to finding any new ball bearings, I figure that clean and regrease will be worthwhile in any case. Do you agree?

Yes, I wouldn't bother TBH, chances are it's hardly been used.

I'd just strip, clean and re-grease. If you do find any issues you can always take a sample to a decent LBS, they can match it and then you can sort it out fully another time.

I certainly wouldn't expect you to bring any parts with you if it was me.

Go along, have a look, do what you can and if need be advise on things like tyres, tubes, blocks, cables etc.

Good on you though fella, karma will catch you on the return leg :thumbsup:

KneesUp

Guru
There are standards, but I dunno. I have a 1979 Peugeot and this much I can tell you:

the pedals might be fused to the cranks - mine are
the BB on mine had worn cups - easiest to stick a cartridge one in
headset might not be that accessible as chances are the stem will be stuck - mine is

The biggest issue you'll find that will stop people using it is that the brake callipers get really stiff with oxidisation.

Clean and re-grease would be good. I'd suggest leaving the headset and doing wheel bearings and BB for maximum benefit (unless the pedals are awful I suppose - I can't get mine of but they spin quite well)

Top Bottom