Ball bearing sizes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lpretro1

Go to LBS to ensure you get right ones

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's easier to get them in a race - then you don't loose them :smile:
Do you mean caged? Those ones seem more likely to wear pits into the races, plus the cages fail more quickly than the balls (because they're thinner at critical points) and can result in mobile sharps causing damage. Not a problem if you service often enough, but the headset isn't the easiest place to inspect.

lpretro1

Yes - caged if you like - they are way easier to fit. If you use loose balls there is always a risk you dislodge them when putting the fork back in and of course when you dismantle you drop/lose them. Yes, the races do need maintaining - but so does any headset and like any other part of a bike - though many people leave them until they are way past needing doing or they have problems - especially not good if you have an integrated headset...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4066765, member: 45"]Sat on a steel rule they look to be 5/32. But I don't trust my eyesight. @biggs682 ?[/QUOTE]
:rofl: Surely you can just trust your eyesight and say only that they're less than an inch, no matter how much you're asked to be more precise? ;)

tyred

Legendary Member
With a few exceptions, on the majority of bikes (including Triumph Travel Masters) you will find:

Pedals - 1/8"
Headset - 5/32"
Front hub - 3/16"
Bottom bracket - 1/4"
Rear hub (non Sturmey) 1/4"

I always assemble without cages. A decent grease should hold them in posiiton.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
th?id=OIP.M33331a79f91f6d96d88753a7bc393812o0&w=147&h=100&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.1&rm=2.jpg
it's what the holes in a Park Tool ruler are for, but there are other measurement devices as well. If you go with loose balls, you may need slightly larger balls to compensate for the absence of a cage. (I refer to that as going "commando")

lpretro1

With a few exceptions, on the majority of bikes (including Triumph Travel Masters) you will find:

Pedals - 1/8"
Headset - 5/32"
Front hub - 3/16"
Bottom bracket - 1/4"
Rear hub (non Sturmey) 1/4"

I always assemble without cages. A decent grease should hold them in posiiton.
It may well have been the case at one time on old bikes but nowadays bearing sizes vary considerably I'm afraid

Top Bottom