Bamboo bikes from Uganda!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Those frames look beautiful.
Art meets engineering.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
They make them in Ghana too you know and have been for some time;
http://ghanabamboobikes.org/
Well I'm surprised the Nigerians haven't caught on, equipment being the most difficult part of being a sport cyclist in Africa. We see cyclists around Lagos at weekends and Strava Earth records their trips but those I've seen have always been on a variety of tatty imported bikes.

Maybe Africans would view a locally-built bike like the Africar, which flopped because no self-respecting African wanted to drive a home-made wooden car, or like imported clothes where they'd rather buy second-hand from the Who Died shop than locally-made.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The majority of the market for these Bamboo bikes is in Europe and elsewhere and would be almost unaffordable for the locals.
The bikes you do see being ridden are brought over in the main by charities so the cost is low. I can buy something in reasonable and sometimes in excellent condition for about £60, plus there is the kudos of having something from abroad rather than a locally produced product. When I go to look for spares the "home used" items from abroad are more expensive than the brand new Chinese parts.

Interesting comment about cost for locals cyclops.

I come across bamboo bikes at various hipster bike shows.

Must admit my reaction tends to be, er. Interesting, impressive in some ways, but why?

Crankarm

Guru
These bamboo bike frames look well cool. I hope they ride as good as they look. How heavy are they in comparison to other frame materials?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Who was the guy on here who built one?

Me!

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/self-build-bamboo-bike-frame-kit-build-thread.225144/

Depending on the exact lug construction, a Bamboo frame is heavier than carbon, but equivalent, or lighter than steel.

The ride is lovely, the Bamboo dampens out the natural road vibrations and feels quite plush. As for flex, I've not felt any in my frame, but I'm hardly an expert on these matters, but I think my bike feels great.

As for why, well why not?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Depending on the exact lug construction, a Bamboo frame is heavier than carbon, but equivalent, or lighter than steel. The ride is lovely, the Bamboo dampens out the natural road vibrations and feels quite plush.

But is it as light as a decent 531 frame, and will it last as long?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
We'll I can't remember the exact figures off of the top of my head, but my Bamboo frame was only a few grams heavier than the 531st frame on my Super Galaxy. There's far too many variables in building your own Bamboo frame to claim definitely wether they are lighter or heavier, but they do compare favourably.

As for durability, well there's one in the design museum that is over a hundred years old. My bike is to young to make any meaningful observations, however, I'm expecting the frame to last for a good number of years yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom