Ban cyclists and e-scooter riders using phones, Tory peer urges.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A Tory politician is calling for a ban on using mobiles while on a bicycle or e-scooter, after a concerning incident with a cyclist near Parliament.

Baroness McIntosh of Pickering wants a law change so cyclists are prosecuted for the offence of using a phone, in the same way that car drivers are.

There is no specific offence for a cyclist using a phone, but a minister pointed out cyclists can be prosecuted for careless or dangerous cycling.
That comes with fines of up to £2,500.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61018584

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I agree. Blooming well stop. Expensive dropping a modern phone.

Sixmile

Veteran
Banning motorists from using phones doesn't seem to stop the use. I actually think I see more than ever using the phone at the wheel.

You can sit in a car with the engine off using a phone, what way would the bike one work? Could you sit on a bike and use a phone or have to dismount to stop strava?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm not about to join the barricades to fight for our right to use our phones while riding - it seems like a stupid thing to do to me. But it would be nice to see a bit of evidence that such a change would be worthwhile in reducing accident rates.

Or is it just a case of "We're not allowed to use our phones while driving several tons of lethal weapon, but there's nothing to stop them from using their phones. Waaaah, it's not fair"

Sixmile

Veteran
I'd two concerning incidents on consecutive mornings recently. A driver of a local bread company driving his 6.5tn at the morning drop off past the schools, glued to his phone between his legs. So much so when I waved at his windscreen and side window, he still didn't notice me or my bike. I'd reported to the company but situations like that and thousands of other similar one's each and every day up and down the country will not make the main BBC site but one bloke riding a bike will. Neither are right but I sure to heck know which one of the two I'd rather be hit by if I'd a choice.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm not about to join the barricades to fight for our right to use our phones while riding - it seems like a stupid thing to do to me. But it would be nice to see a bit of evidence that such a change would be worthwhile in reducing accident rates.

Or is it just a case of "We're not allowed to use our phones while driving several tons of lethal weapon, but there's nothing to stop them from using their phones. Waaaah, it's not fair"
Also, we know what would happen based on other offences: cyclists would be penalised for the offence far more than motorists because cyclists are obvious, exposed and can usually be stopped by a PCSO, while motorists hide inside their metal boxes with the phone on their lap, in the centre console or tucked in the dash by the speedo.

As others point out, this batch of old fart in limos would probably botch the legislative definition of "while riding" too so you'd be required by law to dismount to dismiss a call or alert, or look at a map on your phone. And, as you say, for what gain? I bet most years that cyclist mobile phone use is not a contributory factor for a single recorded road casualty other than the phoney cyclist. We already have a bigger incentive not to futz with phones too much: crashing bloody hurts pretty much every time, unlike for motorists with their bumpers and airbags and crumple zones.

If the Baroness would like to improve road safety, she could do much more good by challenging the crazy situation of parking on pavements (outside London) or most cycleways not being in itself an offence and not generally being accepted as evidence of pavement driving (which is an offence) or highway obstruction, and only roads policing unit officers usually being allowed to stop motorists. That shoot puts walkers and cyclists on the carriageway unnecessarily every day, including bits that are so farking dodgy that even our sluggish councils built protected refuges in the highway (pavements, cycleways) for non-motorists.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Imagine having enough power that you can call for laws being changed due to one concerning incident.

The amount of shoot that goes on in this country every day and were going after a non issue again. Almost like another distraction, getting people frothing at those bloody cyclists again.
Debates where over 99% of participants don't understand what they're talking about, spouting off under assumed names without risk to themselves of being held accountable? Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the House of Lords: The Facebook of Legislatures.

Top Bottom