Ban cyclists and e-scooter riders using phones, Tory peer urges.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bravo to thirdcrank on the Cycling UK forum for reminding us of this phone-using cyclist:
1649329211732.png

So I'm not sure how far the Baroness's push will go... (although Boris has allegedly outlawed some other things he's done).

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm not about to join the barricades to fight for our right to use our phones while riding - it seems like a stupid thing to do to me. But it would be nice to see a bit of evidence that such a change would be worthwhile in reducing accident rates.

Or is it just a case of "We're not allowed to use our phones while driving several tons of lethal weapon, but there's nothing to stop them from using their phones. Waaaah, it's not fair"

It is not just about reducing accident rates. I have, on numerous occasions as a pedestrian, had to delay crossing the road at a local crossing as the approaching cyclist was busy looking at his/her phone.

Just as with cyclists on pavements - it is not just the accidents that happen that matter.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
you'd be required by law to dismount to dismiss a call or alert, or look at a map on your phone.
And what about those who use a phone mounted on their bars as a navigation/stats device. Does that count as "using" a mobile phone.

And many GPSs, Garmins and Wahoos are bluetoothed to mobiles so are they an extension of the phone? (as in your "dismiss a call alert" example)

It's utter bollocks.

Caveat - not, of course that I think actually using the phone for comms - texting or talking - is actually a good idea. On the contrary. But is it a real nationwide problem in need of addressing? Of course it isn't this is just someone looking around for pointless regulations to throw at cyclists.

PK99

Legendary Member
And what about those who use a phone mounted on their bars as a navigation/stats device. Does that count as "using" a mobile phone.

And many GPSs, Garmins and Wahoos are bluetoothed to mobiles so are they an extension of the phone? (as in your "dismiss a call alert" example)

It's utter bollocks.

Caveat - not, of course that I think actually using the phone for comms - texting or talking - is actually a good idea. On the contrary. But is it a real nationwide problem in need of addressing? Of course it isn't this is just someone looking around for pointless regulations to throw at cyclists.

Same rules as a car driver using a phone as sat nav in a dashboard cradle

Solocle

Über Member

It's utter bollocks.

Quiet road, I might very occasionally whip out the phone for a photo without stopping for it.

It's even illegal to stop on the carriageway here - the A82, as it's a clearway:

So the only legal way for me to get that photo was to take it while moving!

Whereas this one on the A9 I just didn't want to have to push off again while climbing Helmsdale.

In all instances, there was nobody else around. This risk to other people was demonstrably zero. And I'm comfortable enough in my bike handling to be riding one handed for a couple of seconds (I don't even have to look at the phone to take a photo).

On the other hand, riding no handed down a pavement while texting, as I do see happen occasionally, is obviously stupid and dangerous. But that's already an offence - careless/dangerous.

icowden

Veteran
Baroness McIntosh of Pickering wants a law change so cyclists are prosecuted for the offence of using a phone, in the same way that car drivers are.
This is presumably because cyclists using a phone when cycling are just as dangerous as motorists using a phone when driving.
That tonne of cycling metal can really do some damage when it crashes into a car. I've lost count of the number of innocent motorists run over by marauding cyclists...

vickster

Legendary Member
This is presumably because cyclists using a phone when cycling are just as dangerous as motorists using a phone when driving.
That tonne of cycling metal can really do some damage when it crashes into a car. I've lost count of the number of innocent motorists run over by marauding cyclists...
What about pedestrians however? The complainant wasn’t driving at the time 🤷‍♀️

PK99

Legendary Member
It would seem to me, given the revised HWC and Hierarchy of roar users, that all those in control of a vehicle of any form - 2 wheeled or 4 wheeled - should be subject to the same rules wrt hand-held phones and other devices.

Currently, only cyclists (conventional and e- ) are given a free pass to ignore the road and other road users while they concentrate on their phone.

1649336701678.png

Tenkaykev

Guru
Would you like to reconsider that 100% or do you really agree with her entire rant? I think cyclist phone use is covered adequately under current laws and enforced appropriately.
Exactly This ^^^^^^^^^
These offences are already covered by existing legislation should the police choose to enforce it.

Top Bottom