Bananas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I seem to remember hearing once, that Iceland grows bananas, because they have the geothermal energy to heat the green houses. And I think there are banana growing, perhaps not to full ripeness, on the the West Coast of Scotland...

wafflycat

There's a garden centre in Norfolk that has a butterfly house attached. In the butterfly house, they grow bananas. When the bananas ripen you can buy them, apparently.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I believe that actually, no, it's more environmentally friendly to ship the products from the caribbean than grow them in the UK. It's all to do with the energy needed to heat the greenhouses etc to grow them v the relatively low carbon emissions from shipping bananas.

It's definitely so for roses from Kenya v roses from Holland.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
It would never work. The banana's would be more expensive to no-one would buy them. The people working in the Banana green house would have to be paid more then the banana growers in other countries, making everything more expensive.
As for being better for the environment, it'll be about the same. The amount of heat needed i think would be more, the ships that normally carry these bananas will still be going, and so will the lorries transporting the bananas. So overall, no.
And anyway, how would the bananas trees get over here, they dont have seeds to make trees.:biggrin:

Zoiders

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
It would have to be a green house the size of Essex to keep up with demand in this country.
Notice my friends how no one seems to think that covering Essex in a giant greenhouse is actually a bad idea...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
It would have to be a green house the size of Essex to keep up with demand in this country.

It would have to be that big just to supply my household...those and apples..... by the tonne ! :biggrin:

Keith Oates

Janner
If you were really serious about saving the banana 'footprint', just stop importing them altogether and only eat fruit that is grown naturally in the UK. I might add that I for one would not like that idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom