Bank fraud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I had my ebay account hacked the other day one for $700 and another for £208 both from Canada, but Paypal soon stopped it.

NickNick

Similar thing happened to my mum's partner, they somehow managed to gain partial access to is online banking and use some of that info to gain full access to his telephone banking and transfered money into the account with the debit card they had cloned. They managed to rinse £5k before before the bank flagged it and used it to buy designer goods off online shops, presumably to then resell for the cash. The bank was very cagey about how the fraudsters had managed to pull it off, they returned the money within 48h but still left him with no answers as to how it happened so he can try and stop it happening in the future.

postman

Legendary Member
Mrs Postman had her e bay account hacked into.ten selfie sticks and mens swimming shorts were attempted to be bought.Pay Pal and e bay put a stop to that.We were even told name and country,i traced the little s via his Facebook page.Pity i did not have the balls to inform his bosses what a scumbag they employed.Toerag.

NickNick

Moodyman

Legendary Member
They can be bad with compensating for online banking fraud https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/08/banks-online-banking-fraud-ross-mcewan-rbs

Although think they might have got a bit better since getting a load of bad press about it.

Yebbut...some customers don't help themselves. Like the customers who write their PIN on the back of the debit card because they can't remember it, or those who say 'well...he was a lovely man from Nigeria who said he would pay me back 1.5 times what I lent him'.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Yebbut...some customers don't help themselves. Like the customers who write their PIN on the back of the debit card because they can't remember it, or those who say 'well...he was a lovely man from Nigeria who said he would pay me back 1.5 times what I lent him'.

Change customers to victims then it reads like a condemnation

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There's been a few reports recently on the local FaceBook group of people having their debit cards cloned. I'm not sure if their cards have actually been cloned (it is possible?), or if their accounts have been hacked and the banks are trotting out the 'cloned card' line rather than admitting their security might be flawed.

If cards can be cloned (folk on FB state which cashpoint they last used)... how easy is it? Can a device on a cash machine be so discreet it won't be noticed?

NickNick

There's been a few reports recently on the local FaceBook group of people having their debit cards cloned. I'm not sure if their cards have actually been cloned (it is possible?), or if their accounts have been hacked and the banks are trotting out the 'cloned card' line rather than admitting their security might be flawed.

If cards can be cloned (folk on FB state which cashpoint they last used)... how easy is it? Can a device on a cash machine be so discreet it won't be noticed?

It is fairly easy, a family friend got his card cloned in a petrol station 5+yrs ago, one of the employees had tampered with the card machine iirc. They can also do it at cashpoints by fitting various cameras/scanners onto them that can be surprisingly hard to spot if you're not actively looking out for them.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My late Fathers account was hacked to the tune of £4500. I went to the bank as Dad was suffering from dementia and had been in a care home for 2 years. I had his bank card so there was no way he could of used it. It was a point of sale use, so someone somewhere had cloned his card, even though he hadn't used it for nearly two years. No problems at all. The Nat west Bank took all the details, and the money was back in his account two days later. No dramas, excellent service.

NickNick

My late Fathers account was hacked to the tune of £4500. I went to the bank as Dad was suffering from dementia and had been in a care home for 2 years. I had his bank card so there was no way he could of used it. It was a point of sale use, so someone somewhere had cloned his card, even though he hadn't used it for nearly two years. No problems at all. The Nat west Bank took all the details, and the money was back in his account two days later. No dramas, excellent service.

That's part of what can make it really hard to pin down when/when/how the card was cloned. The person doing the cloning rarely uses it themselves, they tend to package a load of them together and flog them online, your card details can be on a list for years changing hands once or twice/sitting on a hard drive for ages, before someone actually uses them.

gbb

Legendary Member
And some banks don't help themselves either :laugh:
We were the victims of a scam some years ago and we absolutely knew where the scam started, which company at least...we tried to urge the bank to investigate....and we're curtly told 'we can't talk to you regarding this matter'
'But it's my bank account and I know where the problem started...are you not interested in finding out ?'
'It's your account but our money...we can't talk to you'

I suppose on a technicality they were right...but I took great pleasure in telling them....you get exactly what you deserve then.

presta

Guru
My mother keeps her PIN written on a piece of paper in her purse with her card. When she had her purse stolen by distraction thieves in town, they went straight round to bank and emptied her account. As far as I know she still does, there's no incentive to change when the bank just gave her all her money back.

When "that nice man from the Halifax" rang up and told her he'd got a tax rebate for her, she gave him all her account details too.
"But how did he know I had an account at the Halifax?"
"Because you gave him your account number mum"
She's on every sucker list in the world now, but she won't change her phone number.

The only example of bank fraud I have personally is when I lost about £800 because I was lied to by a building society. Actually, that's would have lost, because I got it all back when I complained.

Last edited:
Top Bottom