Bank Holiday drinking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What's happened to Bank Holiday afternoon drinking?

I've just returned from a ride which involved going through the centre of Sunderland.

The majority of vertical drinking establishments are open, but none appeared to be doing much trade.

Time was I would have been dodging groups of young males as they made their way from pub to pub.

The busiest outside drinking area was outside a coffee shop in the High Street.

For what it's worth, I regard the change as positive - the previous atmosphere on Bank Holiday afternoons could most kindly be described as 'raucous', but more accurately as 'loutish'.

What's Bank Holiday drinking like in your locality?

And has there been significant change in recent years?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mach has at least 7 pubs, a bowling club and a rugby club for a population of approx 2000 people so even on a bank holiday the pubs are hardly overcrowded. Only 1 of those pubs pulls in signifigent numbers of punters, so overall it is very quiet in the pubs today even though town does seem quite busy.

Now that pubs can open longer on sunday, that has become the bonus extra Saturday and bank holiday Monday the bonus extra sunday.

All the young males you're missing are in bed...

...all day

Venod

Eh up
We went for a walk yesterday stating and finishing in West Tanfield, we had a refreshing pint in The Bull by the river.

http://www.thebullwesttanfield.co.uk/

Last night we met some friends in spoons, it was heaving, the barman said it had been the same all day, all the pubs in town were busy last night, don't know about today though I have just got in from a 33 mile mtb ride, the nettles are a bit vicious at the moment.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We went for a walk yesterday stating and finishing in West Tanfield, we had a refreshing pint in The Bull by the river.

http://www.thebullwesttanfield.co.uk/

Last night we met some friends in spoons, it was heaving, the barman said it had been the same all day, all the pubs in town were busy last night, don't know about today though I have just got in from a 33 mile mtb ride, the nettles are a bit vicious at the moment.

I used to drink there when we kayaked the Ure and camped just down the road. I used to like it there.

The pubs round the villages here are all full of luncheaters.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What's Bank Holiday drinking like in your locality?
In combination with the lovely weather we are having, it's mayhem here.
I had to doge more drunks and broken glass than normal on my ride home last night around 10.
I'm going to have to ride my commute with a brush to sweep all the broken glass :cursing:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I personally can’t afford pubs these days. I’m not a drinker so that doesn’t appeal anyway but I REALLY enjoy eating out when I can.

Looking at the traffic jams this BH, it’s little wonder the pubs are empty. They’re all driving. Bradford-on-Avon and Bath were only passable by bike today. Oh how I laughed as I filtered along miles of standstill traffic. :laugh:

Top Bottom