Banks Again!!!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

We're going on a family holiday later this year, it's expensive so I took out a 24 month interest free Sainsbury's credit card, seemed logical to let them let me pay them back over time & leave the money in the bank making a tiny bit of interest. Card came & deposit paid on it, they advised me of the details to log onto the web based account. I logged on but couldn't setup a direct debit to make the minimum payment, contacted them to be advised I can't setup a DD until I get my first statement.

Got an email on 25th December advising payment required by 19th January, on 26th December I logged on & filled in my bank details for the DD, sorted or so I thought, today I got a letter advising I'd missed my first payment, the account was frozen, the interest free offer had been withdrawn & I had been charged £12 for the privileged.

Rang them only to be told that as the statement was produced before the DD was setup it can't take the money via it WTF!!!! Anyway upshot, fine refunded, DD confirmed to take 2 payments on 19th Feb, marker taken off credit report, pis-sups & breweries spring to mind.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I had a similar experience with the Clydesdale Bank. They knew interest rates were about to change so procrastinated until I started agitating by which time the interest rate had changed in their favour. I cancelled the transaction and shifted any money I had to another bank.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I received a letter from my bank this morning advising me that my local branch will be closing on June 30th. Luckily, I will be able to use the post office to put money in otherwise it would be a 10 miles round trip to the nearest other branch. Do they really care about their customers?

tom73

Guru
All but given up on the high street "traditional" banks and just a number stuff.
I just want a bank that works with quick simple service mostly all our banking done though monzo now.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I received a letter from my bank this morning advising me that my local branch will be closing on June 30th. Luckily, I will be able to use the post office to put money in otherwise it would be a 10 miles round trip to the nearest other branch. Do they really care about their customers?
I doubt it, but to be honest I can't remember the last time I went into a bank, the issue I see for me at least is that instead of closing the physical bank presence they should have good quality call centre teams.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I do not “ need” to go into a bank normally as most things can be done on line. Nevertheless I use our local branch as often as possible on the basis of use it or lose it. Business customers who still get a fair amount of cash are in there regularly paying in money and getting change.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I do not “ need” to go into a bank normally as most things can be done on line. Nevertheless I use our local branch as often as possible on the basis of use it or lose it. Business customers who still get a fair amount of cash are in there regularly paying in money and getting change.
Yes bizarrely they can bank cheques free but cash has to be paid for

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Yes bizarrely they can bank cheques free but cash has to be paid for
At one time they charged for providing change for the till. I was not very pleased when the local Show organiser asked me to get change for them. I explained who the change was for but later found it charged on our bank account.

DRM

Guru
No they don’t,only the profit, our local bank branch no longer opens on Saturday mornings, only Monday to Friday after the majority are at work, they close before the same people clock off, so we had a cheque to pay in which meant a trip to Leeds, in the car, incurring a charge to park up, then when we get there a bank employee suggested he showed me how to use a machine to pay the cheque in & was surprised I refused, he couldn’t see that if this idea took off that machine would do him out of a job, that’s why I wanted to deal with a human being on the counter.

classic33

Leg End Member
No they don’t,only the profit, our local bank branch no longer opens on Saturday mornings, only Monday to Friday after the majority are at work, they close before the same people clock off, so we had a cheque to pay in which meant a trip to Leeds, in the car, incurring a charge to park up, then when we get there a bank employee suggested he showed me how to use a machine to pay the cheque in & was surprised I refused, he couldn’t see that if this idea took off that machine would do him out of a job, that’s why I wanted to deal with a human being on the counter.
They still have to have a person check the cheques by hand, once they've let the machine do it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
he couldn’t see that if this idea took off that machine would do him out of a job,

He may be dense, but I expect he did realise the ultimate impact.

Staff at Barclays in Durham were bugging me to go online.

I remarked it would be a pity if it resulted in job losses.

The lass agreed, but told me they were under strict instructions to push online.

Thus it was a case of not do it and lose your job sooner, or do it and lose your job later.

kynikos

Veteran
Good luck with that. We had a similar letter when HSBC closed in Ossett. Six months later the Post Office closed.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Credit Karma just sent me an email to say that something has changed on my account, logged onto the account to see that Sainsbury's have marked my account as missing a payment Fudging Barstools!!

Top Bottom