Bar ends (not ergons) for Brompton M style

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bamc

Hello all

I have an old injury that makes holding these bars uncomfortable. Bar ends really help BUT I don't like the ergons - any ideas for alternatives?

Thank you!

Kell

Veteran
Literally any MTB style bar end will work - depending on your bar type.

I think S type bars would be fine for whatever as you can move your grips and levers in board as much as you need.

I'd imagine you COULD run into problems on M bars as you need 1/2 inch of extra room each side, and the gear/brake levers might start to go round the bends a bit.

Kell

Veteran
For the record - here's what mine look like.

Just standard metal bar ends which I then put foam grips on because they were freezing in the winter.

And then the foam grips got a bit bashed, so I then put duct tape on them.

Don't look great, but work well.

KPSf3JyH1iH00fuS6cEVz9ZJgMF-OGYetGbBy6xTZQ58e3U7E-Ql9bNMCcpsmUnhkUOapa16w&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

alicat

Legendary Member
I'd imagine you COULD run into problems on M bars as you need 1/2 inch of extra room each side, and the gear/brake levers might start to go round the bends a bit.

I fitted some Decathlon bar ends. Personally I don't like them. I cycle mostly in traffic and I found I was too far from the brakes when I needed them. They do interfere with the fold very slightly - the bar end drags on the ground v slightly. I was going to offer them; however @Heltor Chasca has beaten me to it.

Kell

Veteran
WRT hands near brakes I'd imagine that's the problem with any bar ends though...

I ride in London and only move to the bar ends when I'm settled into a long-ish stint - i.e through a park or on a road between lights and with no crossing points.

If I'm weaving through traffic or suspect that someone might step out, then I'm on the normal bars covering the brakes.

Actually, now the subject has come up, I use mine far less than I used to on my old bike (Dahon Matrix). I think Bromptons are so un-aerodynamic that I now tuck my arms in and use the gear levers to hold on to. My not having my hands stuck out on the bar ends, it does make a noticeable difference to effort v speed.

WRT them hitting the ground, if it's really close, then surely a slight adjustment to the angle would work. Failing that, taking a few mm off with a hacksaw would also do the trick.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have an S-type and use Titec magnesium bar ends. They have to be fairly small not to interfere with the fold.

One downside is that you have very little space left for your hands. You'll need grips of approx 95mm (the RH grip from a Gripshift set works, but you'll need two sets!).

12boy

Guru
I have an S type with cut down bar ends and while they interfere with the fold they also jam tightly against the tire and are held nearly as tightly as the latch. When you say you don't like ergons do you mean the grips or the bar ends or both?
Kell, twining looks good over foam grips, after shellacking will last for years, and the ridges of the cords give a nice grip.

Top Bottom