Bar Ends.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I always believed that when bar ends were "invented" they used to actually fit in to the bar ends and locked in place with a central allen bolt, a.k.a. like a quill stem.

Is this right ? Or wrong ? If it is right, can you still get them ?

I see these have a locking grub screw on the circumference, how would I get on with these with either type of bar end, does the end cap come out ?

The reason I am asking is that the bars on my new(ish) commute are approx 2" narrower than my 1st bike and I always felt less "jittery" on that one, I don't want to narrow the bars any further by clamping bar ends on. It's amazing what you can do with an extra couple of inches !!

Finally (thank god you say !!), has anyone ever hung bar ends upside down to get a bit of drop in the downhill situation or is it better in the standard position for getting up-hill.

col

Legendary Member
Good questions,but im afraid i cant help,other than i saw a bike with flat bars ,and the bar ends were near the middle,so he would be holding either side of the centre point if he used them.Not seen that before,but i suppose useing them as drops may be ok if they were very secure?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You used to be able to get bar end that screwed in, but i think as bars got thinner and stopped being made out of lead tubing, they fell out of fashion.
You can buy new bars for a a tenner so i would buy some new bars and get some standard ends iiwy

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Steve Austin said:
You used to be able to get bar end that screwed in, but i think as bars got thinner and stopped being made out of lead tubing, they fell out of fashion.
You can buy new bars for a a tenner so i would buy some new bars and get some standard ends iiwy

Slightly wider bars it is then. wish I'd taken the bars off my old bike now before it went to the rubbish tip. !

What you probably need are some Cane Creek Ergo Control Bar Ends and Cane Creek lockring grips. From memory, the bar ends twist onto the grips and then are held in place by an expanding bolt inside the handlebars.

Not a cheap option but gets you an inch+ on each side of the bars. And some very comfortable bar ends + grips!

S

alfablue

Elmer Fudd said:
Finally (thank god you say !!), has anyone ever hung bar ends upside down to get a bit of drop in the downhill situation or is it better in the standard position for getting up-hill.

I have my bar ends set fairly flat or low at the front, but if I overdo this I find my hand can slip off over bumps, therefore you do need some upward curve at the end, above the level of the handlebar.

Bar ends were first marketed by Onza, the first models used an expander wedge just like a quill stem. They were designed to provide a more comfortable and efficient hand position whilst climbing out of the saddel (in the days before riser bars became the norm). The fact that they also provided a secondary riding position was a side benefit. As bars got lighter through use of thin wall aloonyman tubing the early, and heavy, internal wedge fell out of favour to be replaced by the external clamp. The move to wider (riser) bars allowed greater leverage to be exerted which negated the advantage offered by bar ends.

Bar ends may NOT be used on riser bars. The fashion police will lock you up and throw away the key.

mickle said:

Bar ends may NOT be used on riser bars. The fashion police will lock you up and throw away the key.

Have they gone out of fashion anyway? Last year every 2nd bike seemed to have barends on, this year, I have hardly seen any....

Maz

Guru
Elmer Fudd said:
...I see these have a locking grub screw on the circumference, how would I get on with these with either type of bar end, does the end cap come out ?
These look just like the grips on my Sirrus...I had bar ends fitted to them when I ordered the bike. I think what they did was remove the end cap and that ring section with the grub screw, slide on the bar ends and re-fit.

I'll take a closer look later.

alfablue said:
I have my bar ends set fairly flat or low at the front, but if I overdo this I find my hand can slip off over bumps, therefore you do need some upward curve at the end, above the level of the handlebar.

Ditto

Top Bottom