Bar Tape Length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Just stripped the bar tape off the tourer as it was scuffed after a winter fall & set out to re-tape the bars with new tape, got just past the hoods & ran out of tape :sad:
The new tape i got is approx 1700mm & the old tape I removed is approx 2150mm??
I didnt realise that bar tape came in different lengths & after looking online I've not found any that states a length of 2150. Most doesnt state any length & the few that do are similar to the new stuff I bought.
i've called a local shop & he cant tell me how long his tape is as it doesn't say on the packet :blush:

Anyone know where i can buy a longer length of bar tape from, please?? Plain black will do!

Is it possible you are over-wrapping it? TBH I've never heard of this as an issue before, ever...

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I did wonder if thats what I'd done. Tried again being as thrifty as I could with the tape, but still a few wraps short. Thats why I measured it to see if it was shorter than my old stuff :unsure:

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Google suggests Charge and Specialized tape longer? Do you have very wide bars?

Maybe quite wide bars(only stock bars originally on bike), but I do have top mount levers too which I thought would reduce amount of tape needed.
A friend has just measured a couple of rolls of tape he has, Deda 1.8m, Charge 2m. I thought it would all be same length, but obviously not :sad:

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
what bars - as a matter of interest?
Stock bars on my Ridgeback Panorama, 6061 Aluminium Ergo Tour, not sure of width without measuring them.
They are not oversized, but do have a cable housing for the top mount levers, but I'd hardly got that far before the tape ran out

ok, so the bars are not particularly unusual. I don't understand it - unless you are wrapping too closely - which you already said you weren't - maybe you just got a duff pack. On every occasion when I have fitted bar tape (probably hundreds of times now), I have always had to trim off the excess length when done.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Nipped out of work today to check out a couple of bike shops in Hull. Cliff Pratts didnt offer much help, "its all the about the same length" & recommended some Deda. I said a friend had measured some & it was only 1.8m, so i left there empty handed.
I then called at Freetown Cycles, the guy there much more helpful. Said he'd never had the problem, but got a pack of bar tape out & opened one roll & measured it, 2.1m, so I bought it Serfas synthetic cork, £8.95. At the bottom of the box it does say extra long to fit flat & aero bars :thumbsup:
off to try & fit it now, so fingers crossed!

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
All sorted & had to cut approx 4" off end of roll :thumbsup:

The first tape I had was Trivio, maybe one to avoid :unsure:

& measured the bars 44cm so not mega wide

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Fairly tight, not sure how tight is right, but never had a problem before. There was approx 400mm difference in length between the two different makes tho

Top Bottom