Bar tape on flat bars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I'm getting to thinking after 16 months I'd like to change the grips on my Sirrus.

Would putting bar tape on be a viable option?

I'm thinking I can get a good double thickness from a roll but the drawback might be unravelling problems.

Any ideas?

col

Legendary Member
How about thin strips of duck tape,i dont think it would unravel in a hurry?or even tucked into the bar end,like you would with drops,and jammed in with a bar end stopper?

andygates

Why is it any more likely to unravel than on drops? Just finish with electrical tape and you're done.

Fugly though, but that's aesthetics, YMMV! :sad:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
andygates said:
Fugly though, but that's aesthetics, YMMV! :tongue:

Suits me sir! :biggrin:

why do it at all?

Don't know, it just sounds comfy. A friend has just re-taped his drops with some very nice squidgy tape and I fancy trying it. A double thickness might be extra comfy.
I got some of the same stuff on the way home so if I can be bothered after tea I'll give it a go.

Bar tape worked a treat on my Genesis Day 02 flat bar - I didn't like the grips that came with it and replaced almost them immediately with Deda bar tape - very comfortable.

I secured it with black insulating tape, although I did have a couple of unravelling problems - probably due to my inexperience in wrapping bar tape.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Sorry Zoiders, I don't get your post :blush:. Is it sarcasm?

The tape worked, it's a bit like holding orthopaedic cutlery but very comfy.

Zoiders

No its not sarcasm

You dont want drops but you want something a bit more aero

Bull horns may be the way to go, plus if you have a good straight drag of a comute then arm rests and extensions may be a good thing, down tube shifters arent a bad thing either

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Glad you weren't being sarcastic, your post went straight over my head.
I was only asking about changing grips for tape, not changing the system for mounting the grips or tape. That's why I was confused.

Top Bottom