1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bar tape on flat bars?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by longers, 9 Mar 2008.

1. longers

longers Veteran

I'm getting to thinking after 16 months I'd like to change the grips on my Sirrus.

Would putting bar tape on be a viable option?

I'm thinking I can get a good double thickness from a roll but the drawback might be unravelling problems.

Any ideas?

2. col

col Veteran

How about thin strips of duck tape,i dont think it would unravel in a hurry?or even tucked into the bar end,like you would with drops,and jammed in with a bar end stopper?

3. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

4. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

If it's a road bike why dont' you get drop bars?

5. It's not a road bike until it gets drop bars actually :evil:

6. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

A bit of red insulating tape would pep it up no end.

7. andygates

andygates New Member

Why is it any more likely to unravel than on drops? Just finish with electrical tape and you're done.

Fugly though, but that's aesthetics, YMMV! :sad:

8. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

why do it at all, there's excellent grips out there surely?

9. OP
    OP
    longers

longers Veteran

Suits me sir! :biggrin:

Don't know, it just sounds comfy. A friend has just re-taped his drops with some very nice squidgy tape and I fancy trying it. A double thickness might be extra comfy.
    I got some of the same stuff on the way home so if I can be bothered after tea I'll give it a go.

10. twowheeledwriter

twowheeledwriter New Member

Bar tape worked a treat on my Genesis Day 02 flat bar - I didn't like the grips that came with it and replaced almost them immediately with Deda bar tape - very comfortable.

I secured it with black insulating tape, although I did have a couple of unravelling problems - probably due to my inexperience in wrapping bar tape.

11. Zoiders

Zoiders New Member

You could go over to down tube shifters and fit bull horns/low pros with levers in the end, you could go the whole hog and fit full tri bars

12. OP
    OP
    longers

longers Veteran

Sorry Zoiders, I don't get your post :blush:. Is it sarcasm?

The tape worked, it's a bit like holding orthopaedic cutlery but very comfy.

13. Zoiders

Zoiders New Member

No its not sarcasm

You dont want drops but you want something a bit more aero

Bull horns may be the way to go, plus if you have a good straight drag of a comute then arm rests and extensions may be a good thing, down tube shifters arent a bad thing either

14. OP
    OP
    longers

longers Veteran

Glad you weren't being sarcastic, your post went straight over my head.
    I was only asking about changing grips for tape, not changing the system for mounting the grips or tape. That's why I was confused.

15. simonali

simonali Über Member

Oury lock-ons are what you want. Nice and squidgy!