Bar Tape . What make would you recommend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shropshire65LW

Thinking of re taping my bars ....wow there is a big price difference
£6.99- to over £40
is there much difference and is there any Make you would recommend
tortec air gel .......looks good in reviews

DSK

Bar tape is quite personal and there a wealth of choice.

As a good all rounder, I use Lizard Skin DSP 2.5mm. Good secure grip, longevity, easy to clean. I have one bike with red bar tape and the other has got white!

(edited, i have lizard skins, not fizik)

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Cinelli gel cork tape for me too.

Even better when fitted to Cinelli bars.

9B8C0F31-4588-42C0-82B3-E14BB31F996A.jpeg

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I must have been unlucky with Lizard Skins. I thought it was awful. Felt lovely at first but the bit just behind the hood where the heel of my hands rest wore away very quickly and looked horrible. It was black and the top covering seemed to wear off and the under layer showed through and looked awful.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fizik for me. I found Lizard skin to wear very quickly.
I have an aversion to the feel of suede, so no cork for me!

D

Deleted member 23692

Zipp Service Course and Service Course CX for me

Drago

Legendary Member
Fizik for me. I found Lizard skin to wear very quickly.
I have an aversion to the feel of suede, so no cork for me!
What do you do to it? I'm a brutal rider, strong grip, move my hands around a lot, ride in all weathers, and Lizard Skinz tape on my Pinnacle still looks like new (albeit a bit grubby now) after 9 years of service.

si_c

Guru
Bar tape can be very personal if you like cork tape then it's usually available very cheap and it's comfortable to ride on. That being said it does scuff easily and can get marked and stained easily if non-black, but the killer problem for me is that every cork bar tape I've used gets very slippy in the wet.

I really rate Lizard Skins highly - as others have said my experience is that it lasts a long time - 10k miles isn't an unreasonable expectation - but more importantly it maintains it's grip when wet so your hands don't slide or move. SuperCaz bartape is very similar to Lizard Skins and is what I'm using now - very impressed so far although I've only done a couple hundred miles on it so far.

jay clock

Massive member
I must have been unlucky with Lizard Skins. I thought it was awful. Felt lovely at first but the bit just behind the hood where the heel of my hands rest wore away very quickly and looked horrible. It was black and the top covering seemed to wear off and the under layer showed through and looked awful.
i have fallen in love with Lizard Skins but every time I have exactly the same problem in a few days. Even the 3.2mm version

Top Bottom