Bar Tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm replacing mine after my off (gone for F'iz:ik microtex with their bar gel pads, as I suffer a bit with the less cushy tapes).

It got me wondering though, what tapes you all favour?

Is anyone still using that thin stuff that was all the rage on the old ten speeds? Is there a brand you've always used? Do you just pick up whatever's cheap at the time, or have you never changed the tape on your bikes?

My old bike had the thin stuff at first, changed because it didn't mitigate any road vibration at all, and I started to get numb thumbs after riding :becool: - it was lethal in the wet too, reducing grip to a frighteningly low level. The replacement was cork plus tape (bought, I have to admit, largely because I liked the colour choices offered (red and white to match the frame...)

The new bike has a cushy tape that I assume is supplied by Giant - I've been quite happy with it, although one side is torn now following its abrupt contact with the road.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Call me an old fogey, but I like Grab-On.

On some bikes, I have cork tape plus gel pads, which is almost as good.

breydonboy

Call me strange (or tight!).

I use 1 inch wide black twill tape that I buy from the needlework stall in the local market.
When wound tight the tape stays in place at the top of the bars. At the bottom I put a couple of dabs of mastic/silicone.
Its cheap, good-looking and anti-slip.

Joe

Über Member
Cinelli cork!

bobg

Über Member
Rather fond of Grab On too, trouble is it has a tendency to grab on when you dont want it too. Just tried Cinelli Cork with gel pads recently and I think that has the edge. Or old inner tube ;). That twill stuff lasts forever when coated with a few layers of button polish - a traditional method I believe.

Top Bottom