Bar tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
How do you wrap it at the levers? Do you add a spare bit, figure of 8 or just codge it under the hood covers?
I've done them before but never very satisfied with the result
Cheers

gavintc

Guru
I did mine recently and like you was slightly confused at how do the levers. I googled it, and found a website that recommended cutting a piece to place into the gap. I am afraid that I cannot remember where I found the recommendation. But, I tend to use Park or Sheldon for most of my bike tips.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Park tools is quite good.
Cheers

I also now notice there are instructions on the back of the pack which I will read!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Hmmm! The instructions on the packaging advise wrapping it clockwise on the right bar whereas Park tools suggest the opposite!

Confused? You will be. (Soap circa 1975)

girofan

Most bar tape has a piece of tape specifically to cover the brake band at the back of the lever housing.
If you wind tape clockwise on the right side of the bar and anti clockwise on the left, starting from the bar end, you eventually will tape around the tight curve of the bar beneath the lever band, which you should have already covered with the small piece of tape provided.
Wind the tape in at a steep angle under the lever housing and over the top onto the upper part of the bar. It's not easy to acheive this, but several attempts should be made to get it correctly positioned, so that no part of the band, lever housing or bar show when you turn back the lever hoods.
Going the figure of eight route covers it OK, but can cause a bulky area on a smooth curve.
Best of luck! If at first you don't succeed.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It is much easier to tape cleanly round the brake levers if you put TWO strips of tape behind them, rather than just the one supplied. Gauranteed to be gap free without overstretching the tape.

Now I come in with something else!

I actually tape using the Park Tool direction, i.e. into the bike, but wrap the levers very carefully so that there is no tape covering the clamp holding the lever to the bars, not just the normal gap, but properly exposing the clamp. This doesn't affect comfort on the bars at all, and makes it easier to reach the brakes when in the drops.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Now I come in with something else!

I actually tape using the Park Tool direction, i.e. into the bike, but wrap the levers very carefully so that there is no tape covering the clamp holding the lever to the bars, not just the normal gap, but properly exposing the clamp. This doesn't affect comfort on the bars at all, and makes it easier to reach the brakes when in the drops.
I'm missing something there, can you run that by me again?

Yeah sure. Despite my long fingers, I struggle to get a comfortable reach to the brake levers. Its not that my hands are too short, but that I like to grip more lever than most people tend to.

Not having the tape in the curver of the drop lets me get an extra 4-5mm reach or so to the lever. Being that in the drops, there are two hand positions. One for hammering and control with the web of my finger-thumb bit in the bend, and a lower grip, still on the drop for fast work where brakes and gears aren't needed as much.

Is that clearer, or as clear as mud!

Top Bottom