Barcelona

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I had our passports pickpocketed from a buttoned pocket on the leg of my cargo trousers on the underground from the centre to the Gaudi park. Looking back I believe it was by a young kid with his family who bumped against me several times.

Wasted much of the last day of the break at the police station near the Ramblas trying to get sorted so we could get the flight the next day.

I'd go back any time, but I'd be more careful in future.

I had similar experience in Budapest, "only" lost bank cards, driving licence, and small amount of cash. Very annoying, but, it didn't spoil our time in Budapest. Like you, I shall be even more careful in future where keep my wallet. As it happens bank (Santander) were spot on, and, no actual financial loss (other than the small amount of cash).

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I fancy taking my wife for a week end away in Barcelona when travelling will be safe again, hopefully before next summer.
We have never been to Barcelona and from what I understand, it is a fascinating city to visit, so, what are your recommendations ?
Barcelona is lovely but only ever spent a day there. However I do recommend Seville !!!! That’s an amazing place !

As for stealing , yes be careful ! Watched a lad skilfully attempt to slip his hand into a guys back pack. Till I shouted at him after a pat on the back.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Pickpockets seems to be a bit of a theme here and elsewhere. We keep the important stuff secreted on the electric wheelchair - there's no way anyone could get to them unnoticed :laugh: Very easy to leave phones sitting on cafe tables though.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Pickpockets seems to be a bit of a theme here and elsewhere. We keep the important stuff secreted on the electric wheelchair - there's no way anyone could get to them unnoticed :laugh: Very easy to leave phones sitting on cafe tables though.

Indeed. I am one of those who mentioned pickpockets, but, to be fair, I have travelled thousands of miles in various parts of the world, on business, and, we have travelled thousands of miles in mainland Europe, including many cities, in our retirement. We have (touch wood) had only one "incident". So, I would say, yes, be careful, but, not paranoid. ;)

Chislenko

Veteran
I spent an all expenses paid weekend there and even without spending a penny / pesata / Euro it did absolutely nothing for me.

Once you have seen one example of Gaudi's nonsense (imho) you have seen them all.

To echo what others have said also witnessed an attempted bag snatch.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Gaudi is awesome, Gracia and Eixample are fantastic, liveable barrios, ciudad vella is full of interesting bars and on the verge of being gentrified. On the other side - food is <<< compared to Andalusia or Basque Country, Catalans are not the most friendly people (till you get to know them) and la Rambla sucks.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Barcelona was, on the whole, great. It's very wheelchair friendly, better on that front than Madrid. We spent three days there and loved la Rambla - our hotel was right in the middle of it, by the Gaudi museum. There's a youthful energy and vibrancy in Barcelona that's infectious and there's art everywhere if you look. Lovely walking through the old part and stumbling upon this -

View: https://youtu.be/JN1LcShiV2E

When I went to the Spanish Autoglass to get a temporary window put in the car, the young man grumpily waved me away saying "Next week, next week", so I tried to book an appointment. Rather disgustedly he opened up the computer and took my passport for the details but was having problems finding Scotland on his system. In better English than my Spanish he expressed his surprise that he couldn't input "Scotland".

"But you are a country! We know you are a country! Why is this, this is not right", which led to a conversation about Scottish/Catalan independence. Anyway, realising I was Scottish and not English, his attitude changed. "Come back in 1 hour, your car will be done" ^_^

Top Bottom