barriers of EV adoption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JackP

Hello,

I am currently undergoing a master's degree dissertation thesis. My topic is assessing the barriers that are currently stopping the general public from switching to electric vehicles. I have created a questionnaire to aid my research on my chosen topic. I would be extremely grateful if you could take a couple minutes out your day to complete it.

Any participation and feedback are greatly appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------
Survey: www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/57TRFMP
----------------------------------------------------------

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Done.

D

Deleted member 26715

Your survey doesn't really address the biggest issue why people are not flocking to buy them, cost, there are thousands of people who would gladly give up their petrol/diesel car if there was a financially viable alternative.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Personally I think that they are an environmental disaster and a complete greenwash. O.K, they emit zero emissions when driving, (If we decided to conveniently pretend that all of the power from it's charge was generated from renewable sources.), but what about all of the exotic materials used in the batteries like nickel, cadmium, zinc, copper and lithium.

The environmental cost of their extraction is huge, not to mention that some of those materials are extracted in wonderful countries like the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Then what about the actual disposal of the batteries when they give up the ghost? Nope, count me out of owning one of these things, unless they ever manage to be as environmentally friendly as they pretend.

Anyway, that's my barrier to EV ownership, Aside from not dealing with these issues and pretending that they are a green means of transport, the survey was good, best of luck with it!

DRM

Guru
Personally I think that they are an environmental disaster and a complete greenwash. O.K, they emit zero emissions when driving, (If we decided to conveniently pretend that all of the power from it's charge was generated from renewable sources.), but what about all of the exotic materials used in the batteries like nickel, cadmium, zinc, copper and lithium.

The environmental cost of their extraction is huge, not to mention that some of those materials are extracted in wonderful countries like the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Then what about the actual disposal of the batteries when they give up the ghost? Nope, count me out of owning one of these things, unless they ever manage to be as environmentally friendly as they pretend.

Anyway, that's my barrier to EV ownership, Aside from not dealing with these issues and pretending that they are a green means of transport, the survey was good, best of luck with it!
Couldn't agree more, add to that the price of parts, if they follow the fork truck industry, they will be scrapped wholesale when the AC chopper box or control panel dies, think thousands of pounds, suddenly i.c vehicle repairs won't seem that bad, I have it on good authority that a lot of hybrid buses are now running permanently on diesel power because the batteries are dead & they can't afford to replace them.
Then there is range, ok if your doing a short commute, no good if your doing 200 miles plus a day, as I have the last two weeks, I would have had to live in my van.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
trike 003.JPG

:angel:

Drago

Legendary Member
T'is reckoned that 70-80% of pm2.5 and pm10 particulate nasties come from tyre wear and braking. It's looking less and less like EVs are a viable response to pollution concerns.

mustang1

Guru

While driving the car in my local back yard, there is zero pollution. The pollution caused by the extraction of materials happens in someone elses backyard and for that, we have carbon offsets. During my commute to work on the push-bike, I would be quite happy if all the cars and trucks were electric which means I wouldn't breathe in all the fumes; that will be someone else's problem. It's the whole accounting system that's screwed up.

DRM

Guru
While driving the car in my local back yard, there is zero pollution. The pollution caused by the extraction of materials happens in someone elses backyard and for that, we have carbon offsets. During my commute to work on the push-bike, I would be quite happy if all the cars and trucks were electric which means I wouldn't breathe in all the fumes; that will be someone else's problem. It's the whole accounting system that's screwed up.
Where does the electricity come from? That’s polluting your backyard for starters, along with brake & tyre particles as they wear down.

DRM

Guru
Thinking about range too, I think the car designers are coming at this all wrong, there should be a standard size battery casing for all car makes, this is easily removed when flat & you pull into a battery station & have it swapped for a charged one, all you do is hire the battery

Top Bottom