barriers of EV adoption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Done

DRM

Guru
Or the government could mandate a minimum range by law, differing by car type, to be introduced by, say, 2025. You can bet your arriss the manufacturers meet the target.
But that way you don’t have the convenience that we enjoy now, when your car is low on fuel, you fill & are on your way within 15 minutes or so, battery change over would allow this, rather than waiting till your battery is recharged, but I accept that this would involve a hell of an investment from whoever decided to take it on, electric vehicles aren’t the panacea that HM Government would have us believe they are

Denis99

Über Member
Or with some forward planning, you could charge at home, where the car spends most of the day stationary.

I also accept that not everyone could charge at home due to acces etc.

Workplace charging would be a very good idea.

Also, instead of petrol stations, charge points would be in places like supermarkets and other places that people visit, therefore charging when people are doing something else.

All this will take some time to become widely operational, but it can work with proper commitment to having an emissions free driving environment.

Denis99

Über Member
Needs a major world wide policy change.

I still don’t understand the arguments against adopting electric vehicles, but I will add the following.

It won’t resolve congestion.

However digging up the worlds resources and shipping the oil half way around the world isn’t environmentally friendly, also it’s going to run out soon.

More renewables and battery storage are the way forward.
Less environmental green house gases in the production and burning of the energy, surely this has to be better than saying that the EV cars are just as bad.

Personally, I make my own electricity for the running of our car, well about 80% of it.
It can be done, and an awful lot more needs to be done.

It’s called change, otherwise we risk continuing to pollute our towns and cities with vehicle emissions.

Yes,we are not there yet, but it is changing.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
The world before EVs

jam.jpg

The world with EVs

jam.jpg

Or with some forward planning, you could charge at home, where the car spends most of the day stationary.

I also accept that not everyone could charge at home due to acces etc.

Workplace charging would be a very good idea.

Also, instead of petrol stations, charge points would be in places like supermarkets and other places that people visit, therefore charging when people are doing something else.

All this will take some time to become widely operational, but it can work with proper commitment to having an emissions free driving environment.

It's good to see Ikea doing this sort of thing.
Unfortunately no-one can use the charge points as they're full of high price gas guzzlers who demand to be able to park with their bonnet badge against the front door.
So some thought would have to go into where the points are placed, and how to counter misuse of the spaces.

mustang1

Guru
Where does the electricity come from? That’s polluting your backyard for starters, along with brake & tyre particles as they wear down.
My bad .By "my backyard" I meant "the roads I tracked on". For some reason, I am not immediately bothered about particles from tyre wear, probably because I cannot smell them.

Drago

Legendary Member
It needs more than commitment, it needs a wholesale change of direction by both users and manufacturers. Why buy a Nissan Leaf, 1600kg of rare Earth metals, plastics and aluminium, to haul around a driver only? That solves nothing, and at those levels of materials used generates more cradle to grave pollution than a tiny engined petrol car. It makes people feel better, but that is all it does.

3500lbs of materials to haul around likely under 200lbs of human is an absolute joke for a vehicle that is supposed to have environmental credentials. Something like the CityEl in my avatar at under 300kg is a far more sincere means of reducing pollution, cos replacing 1600kg ICE cars with 1600kg electric ones isn't.

Drago

Legendary Member
If electric cars maintain their current size trend then we will break mass ownership by default, as there simply are not enough rare earth metals to replace every ICE car with an electric one. I can't wait for the day.

Top Bottom