Barry Meyer trial. (Title edited)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
+1 fo GF.

I guess its a form of mitigation: yes it may look like he's got a string of convictions but they're only little ones, who hasn't had a driving slap on the wrists amongst us, this could be any of you hearing this, let just forget about them shall we, nudge nudge.
How many have drivers have been disqualified for 61/2 years, in total, out of the last 18 years from driving though?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
How many have drivers have been disqualified for 61/2 years, in total, out of the last 18 years from driving though?
Defence clutching at straws?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That while post is heart rending.

That's last paragraph though boggles me. Surely that's a statement that would serve the prosecution better than the defence? What point is he trying to make?

The barrister is accepting it will be prison, but because it will be the first time inside the sentence will have a bigger impact on the client.

Or put another way, the barrister is assuring the judge a shorter sentence would have the same punishment impact as a longer one would have on someone who has been to prison many times before.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

It's like one of those not dodgy companies on Watchdog, company closes down then re-opens at same premises, same directors, different name.

Drago

Legendary Member
I guess if the law permanently banned people who commuted serious motoring offences then this poor chap would be alive today. The law isn't terribly good at protecting the public and does seem tilted too far in favour of the perceived rights of the offender - I would contend the right of the public not to be killed is higher than an offenders right to get their licence back to avoid hardship.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

If a low life like Meyer was desperate to drive he would drive. What are you going to do? Cars only start with biometric id? Banned drivers have to wear tags?

If a low life like Meyer was desperate to drive he would drive. What are you going to do? Cars only start with biometric id? Banned drivers have to wear tags?

Personally I'd start with putting them in prison when they ignore the ban. Not a permanent solution I accept, but improves our odds slightly.

Personally I'd start with putting them in prison when they ignore the ban. Not a permanent solution I accept, but improves our odds slightly.
I don't really see that we have any alternative to this. If someone won't obey they ban voluntarily, there has to be something else to convince them.

Though now I wonder: crush the car they are driving? Or indeed the lorry, if they aren't licensed to drive it. That would put pressure on people not to loan their cars or employ unlicensed drivers.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Would it not be easier and cheaper to break their legs? For a first offence, anyway. Put their eyes out if they do it a second time

The barrister is accepting it will be prison, but because it will be the first time inside the sentence will have a bigger impact on the client.

Or put another way, the barrister is assuring the judge a shorter sentence would have the same punishment impact as a longer one would have on someone who has been to prison many times before.

Thanks for the explanation. I was bewildered by the defence's mitigation until you clarified it.

Top Bottom